Craftsman Chainsaw will not start

Rdavis441

Threads
Reply with quote, means to reply to the message and quoting the message you are replying to in the message body, such as I did here, if that makes sense. :confused2::confused2:

It makes a lot of sense. Thank you
If you don't mind, I have another question It (the system says I have had 19 replies. I can only see 9. How do I get to the other 10? I have new information to provide, but I would to add it after 19 and not on 9.

Rdavis441

Threads
New information -- Different Problem Definition
I THINK I should have defined the problem as "Craftsman Chainsaw will not crank".
I defined the problem as a starting problem and I think is is a cranking problem (probably intertwined). As I stated earlier, I can not smoothly pull the starter rope to the end. When I pull the rope it is as if I am pulling a stepping motor. It sometimes stops and sometimes jerks my arm. This latter point is what led us to the timing diagnosis. Well, when I put the flywheel back on and tried it -- the problem was still the same. Then I noticed I had forgotten to connect the spark club. That made me wonder how could the problem be cause by the engine firing at the wrong time if the spark plug wasn't connected??? So, I wondered what would happen if the spark plug is removed. BIG SURPRISE. The cranking (rope pull) was normal. I can pull it to the end of the rope with no problem. I rechecked the Compression and it is 90PSI. It took about 5 or 6 pulls to get it there.

I think I can now define the problem as "Craftsman Chainsaw will not crank normally with Spark Plug installed". DO YOU AGREE?

I really appreciate all the help given me based on the last problem description and I hope you will continue with the newly defined problem.
I will apprciate any and all advice and suggestions. Thanks
Ron