Craftsman bogs down and all but stalls when cutting on incline

Eddieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman bogs down and all but stalls when cutting on incline
Just bought a bob vila signature series lawnmower (mod# 917.274031/ DYT4000) with 91 hours on it.pristine shape. I mow a ski slope sort of lawn that killed a husquvarna which is why i bought it. the problem I'm haning is that with the blades engaged, it bogs down and almost stalls going up. bypassed the air filter temporarily to see if it was that and it wasn't. any ideas on what it could be?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First Float carburettors do not like steep slopes which is why chain saws & line trimmers have pressurised cube carbs .
The sump is also very large & shallow so can end up with the oil pump out of the oil on steep slopes .
If you have extreme slopes you really need to use a 2 stroke engine , battery mower or a commercial mower with a horizontal shaft engine

Eddieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
That can't be. The craftsman LT-1500 I am still running (Going on 4 seasons) is a 7 speed w/ a 17.5hp Brigs and stratton engine But the belt slips off the deck and I won't buy a new one for 300, so I upgraded to a 21hp 6 speed. Thanks for your input but I need something else.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
do you have a fuel pump on it?

Eddieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, While I was getting used to it, I washed it down and while doing that I washed the deck out and blew a ton of debris out of the spindles. (never checked) That actually fixed it. Now to install a deck washout where there isn't one already to hopefully stop it from happening again. the motor is a 21 hp v-twin. I found a service manual for it. When I get a chance, I'll check it out.