Craftsman 917.387410 Push Mower Nightmare

motaro38

Threads
So, this all began 2 years ago when this Craftsman mower was given to me by a friend. Worked fine, but I didn't yet have my shed build and left it out during a rainstorm. I went to start it afterwards and heard a loud pop and the carb then looked like it exploded with a big puff of white mist, and wouldn't start. I then rebuilt and re-rebuilt the carb over a 6 mos. period to get it to work with no avail. I did eventually get it to run, but the rpms were way too high, so knew something was still wrong. I didn't buy a new carb at the time since Tecumseh carbs are like $85.

Recently I saw on ebay they had new aftermarket carbs same as Tecumseh for $20, so I said why not and bought one. I installed everything, and same issue, starts but revs way too high and fuel even starts to pour out the end of the fuel hose where it attaches to carb, like it's being force flooded or something. If you move the throttle manually it will calm down into a normal RPM zone, but the second you let go it's right back to crazy high rpms. I've heard these are symptoms of the governor not doing it's job, but have never delved this deep into a lawn mower repair so don't know what to look for.

I started taking the whole thing apart today. I got to the flywheel but couldn't get it off. Took the big bolt off holding it on, which I assume is the only thing holding it, but the thing just wouldn't come off. Also took that little plate off on the side as well as the front of the crankcase to get a good look at the valves. Maybe someone here can shed some insight as to what might be wrong, and perhaps even how to proceed to check if rest of engine is working properly. Here are all the pics:

This is the way I had the linkage: (pic sent to me from someone awhile back):

governor_linkage.JPG

Here are my pics:

csmower1.jpg

csmower2.jpg

csmower3.jpg

csmower6.jpg

csmower7.jpg

csmower8.jpg

csmower10.jpg

csmower5.jpg

csmower4.jpg

csmower9.jpg

Attachments

• governor_linkage.JPG
    governor_linkage.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 5

gfp55

Threads
Maybe you should get yourself a service manual for that engine. The manual will show you the tools you will need to take it apart and put it back together. Once you see the tools you can decide if you want to go any further with it. Maybe you could see if you can download a shop/service manual. If it to much you can decide if you want it fixed or maybe sell it. I sorry I can't help you more. You might want to post the engine model # serial # code # and someone will be able to help you.

motaro38

Threads
Finally fixed it. Found service manual showing how to disassemble and upon disassembly saw that the governor wasn't functioning properly. First off it wasn't adjusted correctly from the outside, which was an easy fix since you just unscrew and readjust then retighten the screw. I then realized that the spool part of the governor that is supposed to - through centrifugal force - upon high rpm push up on a little arm above the spool and move the governor lever(which is connected to carb's throttle plate) to slow the engine down wasn't doing that at all. The spool wasn't frozen in place or anything, it just wasn't moving up and down very freely. I hit it with some WD40 and other solvents and manually moved it from inside the engine up and down several times, then gave the whole engine an oil change in the process bathed the spool in oil. I then reassembled everything and it started right up and ran beautifully. I mowed for awhile too and it stayed at what sounded like a healthy ~3200 rpm the whole time, no surging either. I even tested the governor by going over a big pile of weeds/leaves i had thrown in the middle of the yard and right when the blades hit and tried to stall the engine the governor kicked in and upped the throttle, then once the load was back to normal it brought the throttle/rpm's right back down to normal just as fast. The thing works like new, can't believe it.

On a side note, I was recently working a bit on my father's Toro with a "Briggs & Stratton" tag on the top cover, only to realize that once I removed the cover it looked nearly identical to my Craftsman's Tecumseh. I guess Tecumseh makes engines for Briggs, maybe has been for awhile? Don't know, but even the carb was identical, just on a different side.

gfp55

Threads
Finally fixed it. Found service manual showing how to disassemble and upon disassembly saw that the governor wasn't functioning properly. First off it wasn't adjusted correctly from the outside, which was an easy fix since you just unscrew and readjust then retighten the screw. I then realized that the spool part of the governor that is supposed to - through centrifugal force - upon high rpm push up on a little arm above the spool and move the governor lever(which is connected to carb's throttle plate) to slow the engine down wasn't doing that at all. The spool wasn't frozen in place or anything, it just wasn't moving up and down very freely. I hit it with some WD40 and other solvents and manually moved it from inside the engine up and down several times, then gave the whole engine an oil change in the process bathed the spool in oil. I then reassembled everything and it started right up and ran beautifully. I mowed for awhile too and it stayed at what sounded like a healthy ~3200 rpm the whole time, no surging either. I even tested the governor by going over a big pile of weeds/leaves i had thrown in the middle of the yard and right when the blades hit and tried to stall the engine the governor kicked in and upped the throttle, then once the load was back to normal it brought the throttle/rpm's right back down to normal just as fast. The thing works like new, can't believe it.

On a side note, I was recently working a bit on my father's Toro with a "Briggs & Stratton" tag on the top cover, only to realize that once I removed the cover it looked nearly identical to my Craftsman's Tecumseh. I guess Tecumseh makes engines for Briggs, maybe has been for awhile? Don't know, but even the carb was identical, just on a different side.
The engine manufactures buy the carbs from the same people. Thats great you got your engine running like it should and I hope you get many good years of service out of it. You need to pat yourself on the back for doing a good job. Now maybe you can help others on this forum if you decide to. Thanks for sharing.

Blaine B.

Threads
What is the external adjustment procedure for the governor arm?

I have a Craftsman with a 6.75 Tecumseh (what HP is your Tecumseh?)

Thanks!

Blaine B.

Threads
Nevermind, I figured it out.