Craftsman 917.370430 won't start

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
But is the float level? If you turn the carb upside down, the float shout be level or slightly lower on the side opposite the float pin.

PopIggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replace plug. Gapped at .03. still won't start.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
you say cleaned carb. Did you replace all the gaskets with new OEM ones? You might also want to search here for threads on the primer built into the air cleaner base. I think some people have had issues with those. I'd put a half teaspoon of gas or a squirt in the carb throat with the air cleaner out, and see it it fires right up for a few seconds. That will tell you if you have a fuel supply problem.

Last edited:

PopIggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
New plug and gaped to .03 and still doesn't start.

PopIggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
you say cleaned carb. Did you replace all the gaskets with new OEM ones? You might also want to search here for threads on the primer built into the air cleaner base. I think some people have had issues with those. I'd put a half teaspoon of gas or a squirt in the carb throat with the air cleaner out, and see it it fires right up for a few seconds. That will tell you if you have a fuel supply problem.
Yes all new gaskets. Unit dose not have primer bulb, it is an automatic choke. Also getting beautiful blue spark from plug.
Will not attempt to start even after priming carb.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
the manual I looked up for that sears model showed a primer bulb style air cleaner.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Primer bulb is only 4 cycle engine.
I might call BS or should I assume you might be a data collector / future spammer trying to build a thread count? The manuals that are online only show a 4-cycle Briggs and Stratton engine for "917.370430." You might want to list the engine type and show some photos if it has been changed to a 2-cycle engine. The Sear's OWNER'S manual only lists Engine, Briggs and Stratton, Model Number 126M02-1525-F1 of which the air cleaner base is illustration part 966, 795259 "Base-Air Cleaner Primer."