Craftsman 7.5 HP Lawn Tractor idles down and blows smoke

wboone11

Forum Newbie
My Craftsman Lawn tractor starts fine, but then it idles down , then revs up and blows a cloud of either smoke or gas fumes to the point its unusable. I changed the oil and it worked fine for cutting my lawn once, but when I started it a couple weeks later the problem is back. Help please.
 
If you do not use a fuel shut off in your gasoline line - your carb is leaking gas into the engine oil , muffler . When you try and use it the oil heats up and ignites - very very bad for the piston & crank . Fuel shut off is $2.00 . Close the valve before you park the tractor . let the engine us up the fuel in the carb - no more problems . Remember to turn the key off .
 
wboone11 said:
My Craftsman Lawn tractor starts fine, but then it idles down , then revs up and blows a cloud of either smoke or gas fumes to the point its unusable. I changed the oil and it worked fine for cutting my lawn once, but when I started it a couple weeks later the problem is back. Help please.

Thank you Sonofadacker. Tried your suggestion and it worked great. Saved me a lot of money. Again thank you and all replies
 
If there is fuel in your oil you also need to change the oil as soon as possible, before you get a rude shock and the engine fails!
 
Have to tell you this that your problem is still there, you only put a band aid on it. I hope you never forget to shut everything off. Any good mechanic fixes the problem, thinking of the safety of the customer, even if it costs a little bit more. I wish you good luck. BYE
 
Back
Top