Craftsman 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton won't start

tikku22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks...

I have a Craftsman 6.5HP Briggs & Stratton that won't start and was wondering if you guys might be able to kick me in the right direction. The mower putters but never turns over to keep running. I've changed out the oil, fuel, spark plug, and air filter. I also checked and I am getting spark at the plug. I pulled the Carburetor and it was clean, except that the gasket b/t the Carb and Air Filter was ripped, so I'll replace that. The blade is a little bent on one end, but really not very much, certainly not past the deck skirt... I haven't pulled the Flywheel to check if the key has been sheared yet; but I guess that's where I am heading next and was wondering if there was anything else I could look at before doing so. I don't have a compression tester or pulley puller, but will look at getting them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Paras.

tikku22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Quick update...

I opened up the top.. the key on the Flywheel is not sheared. I also blew out the fuel lines for extra measure.

Also, there is no separate throttle control on the unit; the choke inside the Carburetor just stays normally open.

Thank you.
Paras.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think your engine uses a diaphragm carburetor and these things are known to cause problems. The diaphragm isn't hard to replace. Quit using ethanol gas, if you use it.

But if you'd rather not dig into the carburetor, replacement Briggs carburetors are not all that expensive. A friend replaced the carb on his Briggs engine on a Craftsman power washer for $30. His was flooding.

How does the spark plug look in yours?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no such thing as "a little bent on one end"
Replace the blade it will be out of balance and will do damage to your engine.

Next we need the model number of the engine there ar many different B & S engine with different carbs.

As I see it your engine fires a few times but does not actually start running.
If this is the case get some starter fluid and spray a small amount down the carb & try to start the engine.
If it fires u for a few seconds, try again but giving continual short burst of fluid down the carb.
If you keep it running for about a minute ( don't overdo it ) they we can e sure you hae a fuel problem.
If you can not keep it going for a minute the the problem lies elsewhere.

Note, sprying starter flid down the carb will cause th engine to instantly run rich then lean off so the running will be rough and too much fluid in one hit will flood the engine so short sprays are the go and keep your face well away as there is a chance of a backfire or flash back through the carb and singed eyebrows are no longer a fashion accessory.

tikku22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model #:
123K02-0541-E1 05081256

Spark looks fine.

The Carburetor is a donut-shaped float type, not diaphragm.

I sprayed a few quick spurts of starter fluid and it sputtered a little longer, but not nearly a minute, before cutting out.

So, I decided to take the Carburetor apart again and went through thoroughly with a degreaser to clean out every inlet, pin-hole, hinge, etc. that I could find. Put back together; sprayed a few quick spurts of starter fluid; refilled with new gasoline. It started and was working, but blue smoke was pouring out the muffler, and continued to billow for a bit even after I let go of the kill-switch control bar handle. The engine is obviously hot. The oil reservoir is full with new oil.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paras.

tikku22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so I decided to take a shot and assume that the billowing was from oil that got into the tank from tipping over the mower, and not a blown head gasket, etc. Sprayed some starter fluid and the machine turned on; after some time, the smoke went away and I was able to mow the lawn for 30-45 minutes.

Unfortunately, the mower then just cut out. I tried to restart and nothing. Tried to spray some more starter fluid into the Carb and it puttered for a few seconds and then died. A bit of smoke was still coming out of the top of the engine. After letting it cool for 15-minutes, I sprayed some starter fluid and it turned on for a few minutes and then promptly cut out again. I have tried to let it cool, but have not been able to get it restarted the last few hours.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
Paras.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get an inline spark tester and install it on your mower.
If you can get it to start, the go mow & watch the tester which should glow solid red.
If it starts to flash then you module is on its way out or there is a brake down in the insulation on the ignition control wire.

If it flashed solidly the the engne stops and you get flashes when you try to restart it you have a fuel supply problem.

With the starter fluid test, you keep giving the engine short shots of fluid to try and keep the mower running not just 1 or 2 shots.
If the fluid can kep it running you have a fuel supply problem.