Craftsman 6.25 HP Mulcher Carberator: Help Needed

Berniebac

Threads
I was given an older Sears Craftsman Mulcher that would not start. I pulled the air filter off, shot a little carb cleaner into the carb and pulled the starter cord. The mower started right up and ran for a second on the carb cleaner. I put some fresh gas in the tank, pummped the bulb a few times and the gas flowed right thru the carb and out onto the mower deck. So I guess it has a stuck float needle that is allowing the gas to flow into and thru the carb without the float shutting it off. I pulled the carb off to clean it and removed the nut from the bottom of the bowl, but the bowl will not come off. I tried to pull it apart by hand but did not want to force it by prying or applying too much pressure. I can't get the bowl off to clean the stuck needle or to check the float.

I am seeking some help in repairing this carb.

Mower Numbers are:

Sears Model No.: 944.364330
Serial No.: 051704M006982

Briggs and Stratton Numbers: 123K02 0327-E1 040514

Should the bowl come off the main body of the carb?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The rubber bowl gasket is sticking the bowl to the carb body. You may need to lightly pry around the edge to free the bowl from the carb.

Berniebac

Threads
The rubber bowl gasket is sticking the bowl to the carb body. You may need to lightly pry around the edge to free the bowl from the carb.

I thought that might be the case but thought I better ask before I broke something. I will give it a try in the morning.

Berniebac

Threads
I did pry the bowl off the bottom of the carb. It did come apart with just a little encouragement. I found a lot of varnish. I have it all cleaned out and put back together. Probably won't get a chance to put it back on the mower till Monday. I will let you know if I get it running. I have reused all the gaskets, needle, etc. Want to see if it runs with this before investing anything in it but it is in good shape and I think I have a new blade that will fit it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did pry the bowl off the bottom of the carb. It did come apart with just a little encouragement. I found a lot of varnish. I have it all cleaned out and put back together. Probably won't get a chance to put it back on the mower till Monday. I will let you know if I get it running. I have reused all the gaskets, needle, etc. Want to see if it runs with this before investing anything in it but it is in good shape and I think I have a new blade that will fit it.

Sorry I did not look to see where you are from. I should have but that early in the morning I make a few mistakes every now and again. I too would clean first.

Berniebac

Threads
Well I cleaned the carb out and did reassemble it tonight but it would not start. I think I have two problems. One, I still have a slow gas leak at the carb. It is leaking out onto the mower deck. Two, when I tore it down, the gasket for the primer bulb broke. I tried to seal it with a little gasket seal, but I don't feel any pressure at the primer bulb. So, I may have to order a new bulb and gasket. From what BlazNT posted I should probably just order a new carb from China and fix it that way. I did see a supplier that would ship one for $18 all in so that is likely cheaper than the primer bulb locally.

Berniebac

Threads
Tonight I did a compression test and it hit 75 psi on my tester. Followed up with a wet compression test and it hit about 82 psi. I would have thought it would have gone higher on the wet compression test.

I did start it with a shot of carb cleaner again tonight and it will continue to run if I continue putting a shot in the carb. Are the compression numbers high enough to make it worth refurbishing this mower. It will end up at my cottage so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Berniebac

Threads
I purchased a new carb for this mower and installed it today. I tried to start it after priming it and it would not start. So I put a little gas in the carb and it started first pull and ran pretty good. It will continue to run but when a I shut it off it will not start using the primer bulb. So I am guessing I need a new primer bulb.

I did remove the old primer bulb and cleaned it up, cleaned the port that runs thru to the carb and I cannot see any cracks or holes in the primer bulb. After cleaning I reinstalled it and tried to prime the engine but it will not pull any gas into the carb.

Will these bulbs fail with no visible cracks or holes?