Craftsman 550 simple carb Fix + THANKS!

PUSH

Threads
I purchased this tough little Craftsman 550 FWD push mower for $68 out the door. brand new in October 2009 Last Floor model just missing the gas cap..Is that really the Price? Yes. I’ll take it.
I Just bought a house the year before and my bestman let use his gutsy 7.25 torque for 1.5 seasons – so I wasn’t really wanted to down grade in power..but @ $68 bucks! Sold and I only have 3/8 of an acre. ½ hr of mowing.. Cleaned up my friends mower and returned it with a $100 gift card.

model 917.375610
Engine: 10T802 0708-E1 code 06081655

2010 A new neighbor moved in without a mower and I figured I’d return the good deed so I let him use it as well. He only had a ½ arce and was a renter.
It was 2 years of hell for it..
He beat the crap out of it. He would run over anything.. Broke the shaft. Broke and bent 2 blades. Mowed the grass too high , too wide until it stalled and asked what’s wrong with the mower?. Mowed in the rain and got it so soaked that the air filter that it was filled with water until it wouldn't run… again..something is wrong with the mower. broke the pull cord.
left me with no gas once..once. The lesson learned ..Love thy Neighbor just don’t lend them anything you aren’t willing to part with.

So it’s a few seasons later and carb troubles arouse. The 1st real running trouble I’ve had beside Conan the Destroyer.
I was researching here on Surging and Soot conditions on the Spark plug. Found all the info I needed and then some.
-Pulled and cleaned the carb / tank .
-Replaced the diaphragm
-Changed the plug
-Changed the oil
-new air filter
And still surging and racing..
Finally came across a thread here about the Governer and a brand new mower not running right..
racing and stalling. Smoking after it stopped , Gray oil.
– Hmm. after a week plus of trying to figure it out.. searching.. I never noticed that the governor had slipped past it’s stop..HA ! so simple. Fixed.
Now it runs like a champ. I was just about ready to sell it and buy a new mower.
I did already buy a new carb . but its $15 bucks well spent as opposed to $300+ for a new one. A small Part of me still wants that 7.25+ power and RWD for the big hill in my front yard , the larger part is ecstatic that I fixed this reliable simple mower.

Many Thanks – without places like this to come to for advice. I would be lost. Thanks for the confidence to fix anything.

Now How difficult is it to change the pull cord? And the blade shaft?

Have a great spring...it snowed 3" here yesterday...
PUSH
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG

I cleaned the carb.. but after running it's still pulling dust in past the air filter?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks for the thanks. yes many talented people give here . a shame the info may be a bit difficult to access. "dirt past filter" not familiar with your unit. Check intake runner if any for an open of some kind like a rubber tube fitting, or a warped bolt-up flange , or unseated o ring, or.... you get the idea. I learned a hard lesson many years ago. Probably doe't loan tools unless you really know your neighbor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start byputting wad of rag in the carb .
Pull off the top cover, you will have to do that to change the starter chord in any case.
THoroughly clan all that dust & debris off the engine.
Wash the filter housing , the retaining bolt and the foam filter that should be in it.
There are a 1/2 dozen slight variations on the sprint filter so make sure yours is a tight fit in the cover.
dip your finger in clean engine oil and put a rub of oil on the top of the filter foam.
If you prffer filter oil, same thing only a light spray on the top of the filter only.

PUSH

Threads
Thanks for the replies
I think I figured the that the filter wasn't on tight enough and debris was passing by it.
I added a washer to the top to snug it down - now it clean inside.
Washed it and oiled it as suggested.

Also changed the oil one more time . now it back to normal more Black than gray and cleaned the spark plug.

I also modified the cover as it is rubbing the pull cord badly
so when I do replace it will run unobstructed

Thanks Again. Once I get the new cord installed, I think I'm good for the season now.

PUsh
Modified cover:
IMG_27300.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG

primerbulb120

Threads
Your cover modification looks great! Those are tough little engines, and yours should be able to pull through okay, even after all that your neighbor did to it.

PUSH

Threads
Your cover modification looks great! Those are tough little engines, and yours should be able to pull through okay, even after all that your neighbor did to it.
Thanks - I rounded and filed the edges as smooth as possible on the cover.
Last night as the sunset..I finally got my Blade off.
I haven't been able to get it off since the good neighbor "fixed" it the 2nd time....way over tightening the bolt and putting a screw in where the key was that broke off so he could continue to mow his Rock garden.. yikes..

Soaked it in lube , made a 2x4 blade brake , got out the Breaker bar and gently applied pressure until it finally came loose.
Also used a tap and die to clean the threads
sharpened the blade as best I could.

the new Shaft adapter is totally different from the original - which is 2 separate parts : blade and drive belt , this is an all in one and heavier and larger..
We will see how it fits once I get the original Drive belt section off..

PUsh
Mower bay 1:
IMG_2996.JPG
Adapters - nice screw
IMG_3015.JPG
mower blade brake:
IMG_3019.JPG
time for a new blade?
IMG_3012.JPG

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love the blade break!! I would replace the blade. It looks like the angle is different in places.

PUSH

Threads
I love the blade break!! I would replace the blade. It looks like the angle is different in places.

Thanks I Love the break too - especially since it keeps your hands completely free from it.
Yeah you are right the blade is pretty tweaked.

Got home last night with an hour to work on it again
got the old drive pulley shaft off - 2 set screws and a key holding it on - the new all in one design only has the one built in key.
I couldn't get it all the way on as the slot is slightly damaged and I ran out of time/light

I also lost one the transmission pulley screws in the grass when I was taking it apart.. found a replacement in a cheap harbor freight small bolt/nut kit $5.99. I just bought thinking..I'll never need this.

How much tension should the drive belt have? I could pinch it together very easily - too easy IMHO

tranny pulley off
IMG_3031.JPG
Tension?
IMG_3030.JPG
old pulley on drive shaft
IMG_3033.JPG
New all in one shaft...not quite to the top..
IMG_3034.JPG

PUsh

PUSH

Threads

replacing the blade tomorrow- whats worse is its out of balance.

thanks

PUsh