Repairs craftsman 536.270211 RER drive problem

cmcob2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman RER with 13.5hp tecumseh engine. It sat for over ten years and i am trying to get it back in service, as it only had about 20 to 30 hrs use.
After replacing the stator, rebuilding the carb, and freeing a stuck intake valve it started ok. I tested it with no load or blade engagement for about 1/2 hr and it ran fine. When cutting for the first time it cut and ran well for about another 45 min. then, at a slight incline it stopped moving forward. It seemed to pull ok in reverse even with the blade engaged. after driving in reverse to get back to the garage, even the reverse stopped functioning.
The blade drive belt seemed very, very loose when not engaged, but tightened up when engaged and motor off.
I did not hear any noises from the trans-axle such as gears grinding etc.
Trouble shooting from the manual examples, it points to clutch rod adjustment. Is the trans-axle belt driven from the one belt that drives the mower deck.Also is there a friction clutch that works with the belt pulley also. I am not real clear on how power gets to the trans- axle nor where to check it for grease or oil.There are no signs of leakage.
any help in understanding and addressing this problem would be appreciated. the motor cranks fine, it just won't go.

mboss9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the friction disc is slipping, or if it has a clutch, the clutch is.