Craftsman 420 cc 30 inch riding mower

Pwstndrf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is 5-6 years old and has performed well the entire time until this summer. Starts normally when cold, choke on and fuel "on" (I added a manual fuel valve after the soleniod failed and fuel leaked out on floor after use) and after starting it runs fine. After 10-15 minutes of grass cutting it "just quits" acts like key is shut off. Replaced the Coil on advice of a local "small engine repairman" (said coil gets hot and produces a lower voltage, ???) also changed plug, fuel filter and checked fuel line for obstructions all OK.

When it quits it will not re-start, it just cranks choke or no choke, nothing. So I choked the heck out of it, cranked 4-5 times for 10-15 seconds each. Pulled the plug and expected it to be wet, nope. Bone dry and lilly white (like new).

So I am convinced the carb is the problem. So my question is, if it starts and runs initially what happens in the carb to shut off the flow when the engine temp is elevated to a certain point? Could it be a float height issue? I am at a loss as to what to do next, short of a carb rebuild or replacement.

Anyone put there have an idea what might be the cause of the fuel shutting off abruptly?

dfbroxy

Threads
Could be grass in gas tank clogging up outlet as mower runs until it finally shuts down, then when engine is off it slowly disperses. This grass becomes almost clear in gas and is hard to see so look close. Take fuel line off at filter and blow back into gas tank to check.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower is 5-6 years old and has performed well the entire time until this summer. Starts normally when cold, choke on and fuel "on" (I added a manual fuel valve after the soleniod failed and fuel leaked out on floor after use) and after starting it runs fine. After 10-15 minutes of grass cutting it "just quits" acts like key is shut off. Replaced the Coil on advice of a local "small engine repairman" (said coil gets hot and produces a lower voltage, ???) also changed plug, fuel filter and checked fuel line for obstructions all OK.

When it quits it will not re-start, it just cranks choke or no choke, nothing. So I choked the heck out of it, cranked 4-5 times for 10-15 seconds each. Pulled the plug and expected it to be wet, nope. Bone dry and lilly white (like new).

So I am convinced the carb is the problem. So my question is, if it starts and runs initially what happens in the carb to shut off the flow when the engine temp is elevated to a certain point? Could it be a float height issue? I am at a loss as to what to do next, short of a carb rebuild or replacement.

Anyone put there have an idea what might be the cause of the fuel shutting off abruptly?

From the top.

The fuel solenoid does not cut off the fuel supply to the carb like the tap you put in does.
It cuts off the fuel supply to the main jet.
Take it off & replace it with a bolt.
Problem goes away then the solenoid or the wiring to it is cactus.