Repairs Craftsman 30in. 420cc. 6-speed: problem with safety switch

jimvt

Threads
  • / Craftsman 30in. 420cc. 6-speed: problem with safety switch
Bought this unit in July w/5 yr maint. pgm.
After 3 uses it wouldn't start.
Craftsman repair guy said problem was the "safety switch" on the right side behind the mulch kit.
The mulcher was apparently a bit loose thus the switch was not making contact with something thereby
killing the ignition.
He fixed and it worked fine.
Until yesterday!
I wanted to mulch leaves but it wouldn't start again.
Seems like the same problem.
I removed the mulcher, cleaned the area around the switch, put it back tightly, cleaned the plug (only 3 or 4 time use) and NO GO!
Is this a common problem with this unit?
Sears item# 071250000000. Model# 25000
Any help appreciated.

jimvt

Threads
Problem solved.

Repair guy found battery dead just like last time.

Problem was not the safety switch.

No, no....it was a simple little thing like leaving the key in the ignition switch which apparently causes the batt. to drain.

Not a word about this in the manual or from the salesman or from the repair site!

Way to go Sears.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get thee a new repairman fast!!! This guy is really bad. If he thinks that removing the key from the switch will solve the problem, he should go back to school. If the battery is being drained by leaving the key in the switch, then the problem is the switch, and it should be replaced under warranty. I have seen bad switches causing this problem, but never heard of your mechanics solution.

jimvt

Threads
Thanks for the response, Rivets.

The thing is I charged it for two hours last night with the key out and cranked it up this morning with no problem.

The guy is going to call me this a.m. and I'll tell him of your comment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have him check for voltage drop across the switch in the off position with both the key in and out. If there is a difference then the switch is bad. If there is no difference, then you will have to continue searching. What you will be looking for is some connection or part which is draining the battery. This being an electrical problem, it may take some time, even with an experienced mechanic which I don't feel you have. Please post back what he says he found and how he claims to fix it. I'm sure hope he gets lucky.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a VOM go to current sockets (set up) All electrics off, ground bat cable loose. VoM on milli amp setting . Touch one lead to bat cable (off of terminal) the other to bat terminal. Should register 0 if no current is flowing. This is not a voltage test. :thumbsup