Craftsman 247.37299 Starts then quits

Jack321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman 247.37299 has been working ok for a couple of years. Last time mowing, I ran into problem with it running for a while then stopping. It was very dirty so I cleaned it out, including carb area. Noticed two things:
First, gas cap does not appear to have any air hole in it. After removing gas tank, gas would drain out when gas cap loosened a lot, but gas flow would stop when tightened just a normal amount.
I did buy a new fuel filter, but it has not arrived yet. Should I drill a small hole in top of gas cap?
Second, I notice there is no Throttle Linkage and no Throttle Linkage Spring. Could this have been knocked off by a bush or something? or does this model not have these parts?
I found the parts at mtdparts.com as 732-05411 and 751-15144. So I guess these parts are need and I should order these? Difficult to believe it would be totally knocked off the mower.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Coved-19 has screwed up the ESP of all the techs on this site, as we are not standing next to you. Unless we can see what you are talking about, we will be only guessing as to which parts you need. Can you take a count of pictures of what you see to help us. Second, many of today’s fuel caps are vented through the thread area and don’t have holes.

Jack321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are some pics. The choke connects to the right side of the mower, but the carb and gas tank are on the left side. The linkage that appears to be missing would be to what I guess is the governor. The governor does have a larger spring connected on the bottom. Is it possible the mower was able to run for some time without these parts?

From watching a youtube video, I see that under the idle speed screw, there is another piece which can get dirty. i removed it and it looks ok. But supposedly there is supposed to be a tiny hole veritically in that component. Mine does not have a vertical hole. Just a large hole horizontally. I tried cleaning with a needle, but there does not appear to be any hole opening there.

Attachments

• DSCN6873.JPG
    DSCN6873.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN6874.JPG
    DSCN6874.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the part you are talking about is the idle jet and yes there should be a vertical hole in it. It’s probably plugged and that is the cause of your problems. The size of the hole is approximately .015” and if you can’t get it opened, you need to purchase a new carb, as it is not available separately. I use micro drills to do so, but if you break them off, your SOL and need a new carb.

Jack321

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you don't think I need the throttle linkage parts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can’t really tell, as the pictures are not clear as to what may be missing. Too much glare and don’t see the right angle. This is a problem for both of us, as I wish I was there to help you.

Jack321

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you think the hole in the idle jet is from the top or from the bottom ? I found a very thin wire, but both ends seemed blocked. I will try to get better pictures in the daylight later today. But the top of the metal bar (governor?) has two holes in it.

Nothing is connected to those holes. In other videos I see the throttle linkage there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe we are talking two different things. I’m talking about a black jet which is located under a false idle speed screw which must be removed before popping out the jet. This part will have a small brass jet on the bottom which becomes blocked when fuel is allowed to sit in the carb during the off season.

Jack321

Forum Newbie
Threads
that is it. I have removed the idle screw and pulled the idle jet up. Some videos show pushing a wire from the top of the idle jet,others from the bottom. Shining a small flashlight, the top appears to just have a solid plastic covering on the hole, so probably needs to be cleared from the bottom.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bottom only, guys who try from the top have no idea what they are doing. That’s why I don’t watch most videos, most drive me to drink.