Craftsman 20381 HYDROSTATIC WHINE in Reverse on New Unit

Threads
  • / Craftsman 20381 HYDROSTATIC WHINE in Reverse on New Unit
First, the good news. I finally got a higher level manager to replace my tractor that I had multiple issues with, with a brand new one! I had it delivered in the crate, as the incompetents in Warehouse & Delivery ALWAYS scratch and do damage to the units when they unpack and handle them.

It was as near perfect as one could expect. The B&S Intek Platinum 19hp sounded quieter than on the old unit.

Now, the bad part: Upon starting it up, I was upset to find that the Hydro Gear T2 transmission has a whine in reverse, which the other identical unit did not have. It also moves slowly forward in neutral. I had this problem, to a lesser extent, in the old tractor, but the tech had to make an adjustment to correct this 3 times before getting it to be totally stationary in Neutral, so that issue should be solveable. Though I find it odd that this unit actually moves, not just creeps, forward in neutral. It's not that it is moving fast, but it is not just creeping forward as the other one did. How much is this related to the tranny as opposed to the linkage?

I have read that this sometimes can lessen or disappear, though that sounds bogus to me.

Who knows about this transmission? I know this is a lower-end Hydrostatic, though I was told that it will last a long time if you use it properly to cut your lawn, and nothing else.

I have the choice to either have them replace it with another one within 30 days; or have their tech analyze if it needs a new transmission, and order and replace it if that is his finding.

However, from my experience with Sears (& thousands of horror stories plastered on tractor & other sites all over the internet, even Sears own website forums, they basically don't respect or treat their customers, so I don't trust them.

Their past techs have done damage, such as carelessly scraping the bottom of the deck (failing to lift it to its top position) across my garage floor and then over a very rough apron, and then Sears refused to do anything, stating that is "cosmetic" and not covered. Without going into more of the games Sears plays, suffice it to say that I fear either choice, as getting even a newly-crated one, the manufacturer, Husqvarna, is variable in their QC and the painting and assembly of the tractors. On the other hand, I don't know if I can trust the tech, and if a replacement of the transmission will end up scratching up the unit, though I would have the one tech who has been the most careful do any work the tractor needs.

Your knowledge and suggestions much appreciated. :rolleyes::confused2:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You unboxed it now check all the oil levels for everything. Chances are it's low.

Threads
You unboxed it now check all the oil levels for everything. Chances are it's low.

Blaze, Craftsman states the Hydro-Gear T2 is a sealed unit. However, perhaps you know there is a plug to check for the oil level.

Also, I went out and ran both tractors again. I now only hear a very low-level "whine" or perhaps this is the operation noise in the new tractor. You have to put the throttle way down, and I believe I was told that is hard on the trans. Should be full throttle all the time, but I would think that in short backups or forwards, it can't damage the trans.....:smile:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it can damage the trans. The slower the engine the more the damage. It is designed to run a full throttle. Idling will not hurt it just driving. If I forget to turn it all the way up my hydro's wine and let me know.

Threads
Yes it can damage the trans. The slower the engine the more the damage. It is designed to run a full throttle. Idling will not hurt it just driving. If I forget to turn it all the way up my hydro's wine and let me know.

BLazNT, are you saying that ANY small amount of time (say, 2 minutes) running in low throttle is causing damage to the trans? Strangely, per Craftsman's Purging the Transmission instructions, you first disengage the trans via the pull out "allen wrench" bent rod in the back, and then run it at low throttle forward & reverse 3x for 5 seconds each. Obviously, with the trans not engaged, this causes no damage. However, the 2nd part of the purge is to reengage the trans, then run at half throttle, doing the same forward & reverse routine for 5 sec., & move 5 ft. Well, even half throttle moves the tractor more like 15 ft. What is your view on this?

Back to running it at low throttle, I'm concerned about accelerated wear, but the problem is, I can't back it to my garage at much more than lowest throttle, or I'll hit something as it's moving too fast. Would using the brake at higher throttle be better, or does that damage the trans as well?

Thanks much.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Purge process is with no load. Tires off the ground. If it is under load and low RPM then you are damaging it. Now with that said how much is not known but it is always better to run it full throttle when ever you use it. Do not forget the engine also needs to be full throttle to not over heat.