Craftsman 18 HP-OHV Model # 917-274822 will NOT run at Full speed only idle

Need2learn

Threads
  • / Craftsman 18 HP-OHV Model # 917-274822 will NOT run at Full speed only idle
Hello I have a Craftsman 18 HP-OHV Model # 917-274822 will NOT run at Full speed (will start) but when I give it gas the engine will not run any faster, the throttle cable is working I can see it moving on the carburetor, this is what happen it was running fine while I was cutting grass, and in the middle while cutting grass the engine started to run at HALF SPEED.

I have replaced the sparkle plug, fuel filter, i took out the air filter and check the gas, still it will NOT run but at half speed (engine wise) any suggestion???

hrdman2luv

Threads
Hello I have a Craftsman 18 HP-OHV Model # 917-274822 will NOT run at Full speed (will start) but when I give it gas the engine will not run any faster, the throttle cable is working I can see it moving on the carburetor, this is what happen it was running fine while I was cutting grass, and in the middle while cutting grass the engine started to run at HALF SPEED.

I have replaced the sparkle plug, fuel filter, i took out the air filter and check the gas, still it will NOT run but at half speed (engine wise) any suggestion???
Check easy things first. And may sound dumb. But make sure there isn't anything under the deck, restricting it.

If nothing, engage the belt and pull the choke about 1/4 to 1/2, and see if that helps. If it doesn't. You might try running changing the fuel filter & some STP gas carb/injector cleaner..

I'm thinking it's probably your carb has some dirt or something clogging it up. Possibly in filter...

Try the free stuff first..

Need2learn

Threads
Thanks but yes I had already did that what you had mention, I was able to fix it what the problem was a bend PUSH ROD, I replaced the push rod and adjusted the valves and it runs great was able to cut the grass... Thanks again