Craftman 24hp engine replacement

So 13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I need to replace the engine of my lawn mower (further to an air filter trouble...) .
Itエs a briggs & stratton #445677-0758-E1.
I wonder if i can use another briggs& stratton model without having compatibility problem regarding the exhaust pipe.
Does somebody know where can i find the list of models compatible with for my craftman DYS 4500 (Intek Twin 24 ohv)?
Thanks in advance

TnHusky

Threads
Hi,
I need to replace the engine of my lawn mower (further to an air filter trouble...) .
I wonder if i can use another briggs& stratton model without having compatibility problem regarding the exhaust pipe.
Does somebody know where can i find the list of models compatible with for my craftman DYS 4500 (Intek Twin 24 ohv)?
Thanks in advance

If your replacing the engine with a new one and your buying another Briggs you should be able to contact Briggs and see what will cross reference to your mower which is probably made by Husqvarna. What kind of filter trouble did you have?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs says the replacement engine is a 44q777-3137. There are service notes attached. Replace governor spring with spring from original engine, If you have remote throttle control install those from the original engine, install remote choke control if equiped from original engine, transfer speed limiter control from original engine.

All engines may not have the remote throttle, choke, or governor control so those may not apply.

Now with that said, briggs also offers some universal engines, that may work for your application that will be priced cheaper than the suggested engine. My distributor offers a 27 hp engine as part of the Top 40 engine list that sells for $850.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suggest spending the time to see if a hydraulic lifter engine (or a Kawasaki) is available. Although my Intek 24 is working well now I did have valve train problems after a year from new purchase. There are experts on this forum who can help you with this if they see this request.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trying to fit a Kawasaki engine into a craftsman frame is going to take a lot of work and in my opinion not worth the time, effort or cost. If you are doing it yourself, I would follow IL's suggestion and get the replacement engine. If your not mechanically inclined, do not go with a universal engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trying to fit a Kawasaki engine into a craftsman frame is going to take a lot of work and in my opinion not worth the time, effort or cost. If you are doing it yourself, I would follow IL's suggestion and get the replacement engine. If your not mechanically inclined, do not go with a universal engine.

When i suggested the universal engine, it may just be a bolt up plug and play, but I didn't look to see if the exhaust manifolds would work off the old engine due to different block size.

Threads
Hi,
Thanks in advance

I just replaced the one on my DYS4500 the only thing you need to watch is the engine pulley shaft/ crankshaft dimensions have to be the same otherwise any intek from 20 to 26 hp will work. As Rivets mentioned a different engine will require alot of changes to be made.