Could use some help with my rider

rjwolfe3

Forum Newbie
New member but could really use some help figuring out what is wrong with my riding lawn mower. It's a Yard Machine with a 13.5 hp Tecumseh engine. It will not start. I have checked the battery and it is good. It is getting fuel, you can smell it on the spark plug as well as see it in the intake. The starter pops up and spins the flywheel with no restrictions. It has spark (not a strong one but it is there), I tested the spark plug and also tried a new one. I also tried using starting fluid at both the intake and the spark plug hole. It does turn over but does not start. Any suggestions would be a big help as I am very frustrated with it. It ran fine about 2 weeks ago.
 
New member but could really use some help figuring out what is wrong with my riding lawn mower. It's a Yard Machine with a 13.5 hp Tecumseh engine. It will not start. I have checked the battery and it is good. It is getting fuel, you can smell it on the spark plug as well as see it in the intake. The starter pops up and spins the flywheel with no restrictions. It has spark (not a strong one but it is there), I tested the spark plug and also tried a new one. I also tried using starting fluid at both the intake and the spark plug hole. It does turn over but does not start. Any suggestions would be a big help as I am very frustrated with it. It ran fine about 2 weeks ago.

It is a Tecumseh. LOL Their is a good chance that the shear pin on the crank shaft is partly sheared. This allows a spark but it is enough out of time to keep it from starting. Not too hard to pull the flywheel and check it.
 
I finally got the flywheel off. 4 of the 6 magnets had broken off and were banging around in there. New flywheel runs $130 so I may not be fixing this one. Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top