Cordless electric enthusiast, new to forum.

Paul Schruben

Threads
The first recall replaces the circuit board to reduce the possibility of a fire during charging. Has your motor had problems other than worn brushes?

More troubling is the safety-key recall. I have not taken mine in yet for either recall, but I think I will call B&D next week.
Black & Decker Recalls Cordless Electric Lawnmowers Due to Laceration Hazard

Could you ask your husband how he installed the right lower handle? If I attach the spring first, it seems impossible to maneuver the handle into position. Thanks.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Found out today that the CMM1000 has been recalled and if you send it to the service center, they will upgrade it to a CMM1200. Any idea what they all do?
I'm pretty sure they just send you a CMM1200. I doubt they actually modify your CMM1000, if that is what you are thinking.

If I ever did take my CMM1000 in for the upgrade to CMM1200, I would first remove the battery gauge so that I could install it on the CMM1200 (which doesn't have one).

Last edited:

jnodak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could you ask your husband how he installed the right lower handle? If I attach the spring first, it seems impossible to maneuver the handle into position. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but we've been trying to remember if there was any trick to get it all hooked up. It's been several years since my husband fixed the handle. I asked him about it and he said that he remembers it was a challenge to get the spring attached, but that he had to muscle it to get it hooked up. He wasn't able to provide any details as to how he got it attached other than eat your Wheaties. Sorry we can't be more of a help. :frown:

Paul Schruben

Threads
CMM1000 melted brush

Melted brush on CMM1000
I was trying to *scalp* an area of my lawn for reseeding, when the positive brush got too hot and melted the plastic parts around it. It could also be due to the much thinner lead on the new brush I installed recently. The negative side has the original brush and did not melt. Now I cannot remove the brush cap. The top motor housing is melted too. Does anyone know what is involved in replacing the top motor housing (aka end cap)?

What are the chances I need a new circuit breaker as well? It is no longer available. I might have to take it in for the recall and upgrade to CMM1200.

Paul~

Attachments

• brushes_melted.jpg
    brushes_melted.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 14
  • brushes_normal.jpg
    brushes_normal.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 14

tblanpied

Forum Newbie
Threads
Charger for CMM-1000

Hi,

I'm a big fan of the CMM-1000, and am really happy to see a forum that will help me take care of it for another bunch of years. We've had ours (type 5) since 2005, and I have to admit that it's been exactly zero trouble so far. We've cleaned it and sharpened the blade, but otherwise have had no issues to deal with at all. Part of it might be that we have a pretty small lawn (~1/8 acre), but it will mow/mulch that at least 5 times over before even recharging the battery, even after over 6 years now.

The problem right now is that we've actually lost our wall charger/transformer (long story!). I see that B&D/Dewalt no longer make them for this mower series (which is a bit bogus if you ask me, but par for the course in other industries, I guess). Can anyone help me figure out what specifications I should look for in finding a replacement wall charger unit? (or just flat out point me to one?) I can fashion a connector to fit the mower handily if it's not an original, but don't know exactly what to look for.

Alternatively, if I could find one from the CMM-1200, could I use that?

And yes, it's because we lost the charger that we know how many times we can mow the lawn before the battery discharges (!). Normally, it's plugged in 24/7 all year. We're not looking forward to running it down all the way--I'm sure that will shorten its life drastically.

Thanks.
Tom

Paul Schruben

Threads
Re: CMM1000 melted brush

Fixing the melted brushes cost $110 at a local shop. It is probably not a good idea to use the new brushes with thinner leads in the old CMM1000 mower (see attached photo). First perform the free recall upgrade to the CMM1200, which likely has better voltage regulation.

Attachments

• brushes small.jpg
    brushes small.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14

Mark Widmer

Threads
Re: CMM1000 melted brush

It is probably not a good idea to use the new brushes with thinner leads in the old CMM1000 mower (see attached photo). First perform the free recall upgrade to the CMM1200, which likely has better voltage regulation.
Paul, thanks for the heads-up on the brush leads. Does the "free upgrade" mean (as I think) they replace the old CMM1000 with a brand new CMM1200?

Mark Widmer

Threads
Re: Charger for CMM-1000

FYI, I had replied to Tom via email back when he asked this question, but I might as well post the info here as well.

Hi,

I'm a big fan of the CMM-1000, and am really happy to see a forum that will help me take care of it for another bunch of years. We've had ours (type 5) since 2005, and I have to admit that it's been exactly zero trouble so far. We've cleaned it and sharpened the blade, but otherwise have had no issues to deal with at all. Part of it might be that we have a pretty small lawn (~1/8 acre), but it will mow/mulch that at least 5 times over before even recharging the battery, even after over 6 years now.

The problem right now is that we've actually lost our wall charger/transformer (long story!). I see that B&D/Dewalt no longer make them for this mower series (which is a bit bogus if you ask me, but par for the course in other industries, I guess). Can anyone help me figure out what specifications I should look for in finding a replacement wall charger unit? (or just flat out point me to one?) I can fashion a connector to fit the mower handily if it's not an original, but don't know exactly what to look for.

Alternatively, if I could find one from the CMM-1200, could I use that?

And yes, it's because we lost the charger that we know how many times we can mow the lawn before the battery discharges (!). Normally, it's plugged in 24/7 all year. We're not looking forward to running it down all the way--I'm sure that will shorten its life drastically.

Thanks.
Tom

And my reply:
Hi Tom,

I just checked my CMM1000 charger, it says 26 V AC, 1 A for the output. So as long as you find a 26 VAC (not DC), and at least 1 Amp, it should work. It's likely that slightly less than 26V would work too, though it may take longer to charge the battery.

I'm not sure what the specs are for the CMM1200 charger, so I can't say whether it would work on the CMM1000. There is some circuitry inside the mower, in between where the charger plugs in and the battery. If that circuit is different for the 2 models, the charger specs could be different as well.

Good luck,

Mark

Paul Schruben

Threads
CMM1000 melted brush

Paul, thanks for the heads-up on the brush leads. Does the "free upgrade" mean (as I think) they replace the old CMM1000 with a brand new CMM1200?

Mark and Tom,

I was not given the option of a new mower, just an upgrade kit. They replaced the black mower cover (upper shroud) and upper handle, including the switch and cordset. The switch now contains all of the circuitry - only a circuit breaker resides under the cover in a CMM1200, which is a simple plastic shell.

They also replaced the charger. It says 30V DC 1.2A. I still have my old charger but am reluctant to send it to you, Tom. The recall was due to houses burning down and laceration injuries. I recommend that you perform the free recall instead of replacing your charger.

I did not ask for the old parts back, so they kept the charge meter. I asked if they could re-install it. They said no because the entire cover is replaced. I do not see any physical reason why you cannot use the old cover with the new parts. Of course the connections would be your improvisation.

I can live without the meter - the sound is a good indicator of charge. Besides, the meter was only accurate if the load was identical. In other words, the meter dropping off to the yellow and red could be due to thicker, wetter grass or lower charge. It gave a higher reading when I re-mowed. BTW, I wonder how much more current is required to do a good job in one pass?

Paul~

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!...