cord will not rewind

iad724

Forum Newbie
Threads
the rope broke on my mower, so I bought a new rope, and followed instructions on how to tension the spring, and rewind the new rope, I turned it 5 times, put the new rope on, and let it recoil. It seemed fine, but then I did not trim the rope, and after recoil, it did not recoil all the way, the rope, but when I pulled on the rope, it did recoil as it suppose to, so I put it back on the mower, but once I pulled it, the rope would not rewind, and I guess, I have to take it apart again. What causes this. Its quite upsetting, since I really need to mow. Could this mean the spring has come loose, or something.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would like to help you with this but this is the one thing I hate fixing on a mower. The best way I have found to do this is to yell a lot then let some one else do it

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
It has to be clean - no wd40 or oil - lube attracts dirt and the recoil will open up during pull and stay that way so you can't retract the cord -

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Let's just start over. Take the recoil off the engine and carefully remove the rope. Now slowly turn the pulley to put tension on the spring. How far. Turn until the spring gets tight. Put a screwdrive through the openings in the pulley and recoil housing to keep it from releasing. You may have to back up the pulley until the rope hole in the pulley lines up with the hole in the recoil housing. Thread the rope through and tie a good knot. Holding the rope tight, remove the screwdriver and slowly allow the to rewind. You should be ready to reinstall and get back to work, or if this was work have a drink and think about work.