Container Gardening

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you do all of yours properly in containers? Some of mine is likely to be in raised beds-container growing as they will be in their own soil, but there is a chance they will grow through. I doubt I'll have much luck moving them!

I have raised beds and 1 or 2 containers, nothing is portable. The garden produces quite well. The initial invetsment for the raised beds would be considered substantial by some although I expect them to remain for 10-20 years with no maintenance.
I have the plans and can provide photos, but basically it's 2x8 pressure treated lumber in rectangles that suit my space. The boxes ar 16" high. Irrigation is drip from a well with a filter. I make my own compost and keep bees in the garden along with a couple of small Serama hens that also provide a few eggs for saturdays breakfast in exchange for whatever bugs they can and do eradicate.

monica123

Threads
I have grown everything from herbs to squash in containers, I do herbs and anything that trails in hanging baskets. I get a decent yield off of them.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope you don't have your garden soil in direct contact with the pressure treated wood - those chemicals can leach into the soil and into your crop. CCA (no longer produced) contained arsenic.

I have raised beds and 1 or 2 containers, nothing is portable. The garden produces quite well. The initial invetsment for the raised beds would be considered substantial by some although I expect them to remain for 10-20 years with no maintenance.
I have the plans and can provide photos, but basically it's 2x8 pressure treated lumber in rectangles that suit my space. The boxes ar 16" high. Irrigation is drip from a well with a filter. I make my own compost and keep bees in the garden along with a couple of small Serama hens that also provide a few eggs for saturdays breakfast in exchange for whatever bugs they can and do eradicate.

monica123

Threads
What would you suggest lining the garden beds with to help prevent leeching? Plastic would work, but wouldn't breathe. I am not sure of a convenient fix for that.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only thing I could suggest would be either something like Tyvec house wrap (allows moisture travel one way) or just lining your box with untreated wood. There must be someone out there with an answer ??

One thing found -- http://www.orcaboard.com/

What would you suggest lining the garden beds with to help prevent leeching? Plastic would work, but wouldn't breathe. I am not sure of a convenient fix for that.

Last edited:

monica123

Threads
I never thought of tyvek. Maybe could get a liner built out of non-treated wood that could be slipped into it. If you used scraps of wood it would be cost effective too.

brucesdeere

Threads
In my experiences bigger containers are better for container gardens and putting rocks in the bottom help with drainage.

SouthCentral

Threads
If I didn't have the space for a big garden, I'd consider containers. I personally prefer a traditional garden because that's the way I grew up and I don't mind getting down on my hands and knees. I've read about container gardening and based on the posts in this thread it seems like a good option for some. Maybe when I get too old to bend over I'll check this thread again. :biggrin: