Confused blades

Mollybeans

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-built that hit a steel pipe. Right side blade is hitting the deck and the left side blade.
is there a mechanism to synchronize the blades ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
well need model number to see what your setup is.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mtd series 700 decks do not have timed blades. It sound like you have severely bent the deck. Just last week I spent 4 hours beating a 42" deck back into alignment. The lady had clobber a tree stump bent both blades and both of the the spindle mounts. I have done the same thing but worst last year by just looking back and not watching where I was going. I actually broke one my spindles as hit so hard.

Mollybeans

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mtd series 700 decks do not have timed blades. It sound like you have severely bent the deck. Just last week I spent 4 hours beating a 42" deck back into alignment. The lady had clobber a tree stump bent both blades and both of the the spindle mounts. I have done the same thing but worst last year by just looking back and not watching where I was going. I actually broke one my spindles as hit so hard.
Thanks. Sounds like the deck needs to come off and be beaten severely ! Got any tricks to help a newbie pull the deck ?

Mollybeans

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Sounds like the deck needs to come off and be beaten severely ! Got any tricks to help a newbie pull the deck ?
Question. Is it likely that the deck is bent near spindles ? The spindles appear to be cast metal so I wonder if the spindle or shaft could bend without fracturing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it is likely the spindle mounts are bent. Being 3/4 steel shafts they don't usually bend but I have seen a couple in the last 10 yrs. The spindle housing themselves won't given as they are cast aluminum. They will just break if the impact is hard enough. To check bent spindle shafts as you turn the blades around 360 degrees the mounting nut should not wobble if they are straight.

Whatever you do don't attempt to remove the spindes unless you plan on replacing them as the mounting screws tend to break off due to being seized.

Last edited: