Compression release noise?

Toms-shop

Forum Newbie
Threads
B&S model 330000 engine. It would not start; got to the compression stroke and stopped. The compression release wasn't. Took the engine apart and found the compression release was broken on the cam.
I ordered a new cam from B&S (didn't want a $20 cam) and gaskets. I did reuse the lifters/followers/tappets. Needed a new governor/oil slinger also.

Cleaned everything, oiled the parts, installed the new cam, lightly put the crank cover on and set the valve gaps. Then I rotated the engine by hand.

As the lifter hit the compression release, it would slide off, and you could hear a distinct "clink" as the lifter fell off the compression release and hit the main part of the lobe (as you continued to rotate the engine). Double checked the valve clearance. Its ok. I can understand how the valve spring force would cause it by forcing the lifter down. I've not heard it before though.

----Question: Is the "clink" normal? Until it wears in?

I checked another engine and I don't hear it in that one, but it does have years of wear.

Thanks
Tom

IMG_0069_m.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't hear it over the growl of the starter motor
And ftting the old worn followers on a new cam will make it worse
There is no quietening ramp so it is compress the valve spring then thump back down onto the cam
Naturally when it is running that will not happen.

Toms-shop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yah, I was looking for confirmation. First time I have heard it, and it was following a repair. Just wondered if I had misassembled it.
I have a new set of followers but I do not like their quality. Not B&S, but came with an el-cheepo cam (which I didn't use)
Thanks for the response.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The noise is normal. It goes away mostly once the engine is fully assembled and oil is added.

And it does sounds like those after market cams are of poor quality like most Chinese copies.

Toms-shop

Forum Newbie
Threads
And it does sounds like those after market cams are of poor quality like most Chinese copies.
Yes. The cam's finish was very rough, even on the bearing end that fits into the "cup" on the non-gear end. And the followers felt rough when I inserted them into the "hole", like metal on metal while moving.