CMM 1200 won't re-start

MowerMike

Threads
You need a new motor. It may be cheaper to buy a new mower. There is probably nothing wrong with the original circuit breaker. Your motor just died and created a permanent overload, so the breaker could not reset itself.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
I guess I should've opened it up before ordering the breaker. But like i said, I'm not too handy, so i was a bit intimidated.

If I'm going to purchase a new mower, I'm thinking Lithium-Ion is the way to go. Agreed? Any opinions on the Greenworks 40v 19":

Amazon.com: Greenworks 25292 40-Volt 4 Amp-Hour Lithium Ion 19-Inch Lawn Mower: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'd stay away from the Greenworks mowers, especially the lithium-ion ones. I have the Greenworks 16 inch lithium ion mower and it had a defective battery at the outset and Greenworks forced me to drive to a distant repair center to get it "repaired" rather than simply shipping me a replacement. Also, they don't sell replacement blades for the lithium-ion mowers and their general customer support is terrible. The 19-inch mower has a maximum cutting height of barely 3 inches and the motor and battery are too weak for a blade that size. Right now there are not a lot of choices in lithium-ion mowers with larger blades and they are extremely expensive. You could buy a 20" Recharge Mower, but it costs $679 and a replacement battery is $400 ! You might try a WORX WG781 19" mower with an 18" blade, which you can buy from worxgt on eBay for $289.99.

Buy Worx 19" Cordless 36 Volt Lawn Mower Model WG781 | eBay

Last edited:

Mark Widmer

Threads
I would not mess with trying to fix the magnets.
I guess I should've opened it up before ordering the breaker. But like i said, I'm not too handy, so i was a bit intimidated.

If I'm going to purchase a new mower, I'm thinking Lithium-Ion is the way to go. Agreed? Any opinions on the Greenworks 40v 19":

Amazon.com: Greenworks 25292 40-Volt 4 Amp-Hour Lithium Ion 19-Inch Lawn Mower: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Try to find out the price of a new replacement battery for the day when you need one, and also how close are you to the nearest repair center? I'm worried that the Watt-hour rating of that mower (40V*4A-hr = 160 W-hr) is only 37% of the older B&D models (24V*18A-hr is about 430 W-hr). What is the run time, and coverage area per battery charge, on those mowers? I am skeptical of the model you posted at this point. It sounds like, to reduce the cost of the more expensive li-ion technology, they are skimping on the size (and thus energy storage, and mowing area per battery charge) of the battery.

I'd stay away from the Greenworks mowers, ... they don't sell replacement blades for the lithium-ion mowers ...
That is outrageous.

MowerMike

Threads
I'm worried that the Watt-hour rating of that mower (40V*4A-hr = 160 W-hr) is only 37% of the older B&D models (24V*18A-hr is about 430 W-hr). What is the run time, and coverage area per battery charge, on those mowers? I am skeptical of the model you posted at this point. It sounds like, to reduce the cost of the more expensive li-ion technology, they are skimping on the size (and thus energy storage, and mowing area per battery charge) of the battery.

It's actually only 146 Wh, since the 4 Ah rating was based on the 36 V version of the battery, which is used in European / Asian versions of their products. So, at 40 V they are only 146 / 40 = 3.65 Ah. I know this because I have two of these batteries and they are labelled as 40 V, 146 Wh. As to run time on the 19" mower its only 30 minutes on a full charge, but they do supply it with two batteries, so you can get 60 minutes total with a battery change. The problem is that the motor is too weak to handle that size blade and will stall easily. I have the 16" version and get about 45 minutes run time on a full charge with the same battery, and the motor is adequate for the smaller (15.5") blade. Another problem is that the maximum cutting height is only 3" on the 19" mower, so you really cannot cut grass that gets over 4" high.

JohnEQuest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate your recommendations, but I ordered the Greenworks mower. It got really great reviews from Amazon users.

I'll let you know how it works for me. The first mow should be a real test as my grass is about 6" high now and I won't get the mower until Monday.

Wouldn't this work as a replacement blade? Buy.com - Universal Lawn Mower Blade Replacement - Size: 19"

What's the best way to dispose of my B&D mower? Can I scrap it for $$?

MowerMike

Threads
I appreciate your recommendations, but I ordered the Greenworks mower. It got really great reviews from Amazon users.

I'll let you know how it works for me. The first mow should be a real test as my grass is about 6" high now and I won't get the mower until Monday.

Wouldn't this work as a replacement blade? Buy.com - Universal Lawn Mower Blade Replacement - Size: 19"

What's the best way to dispose of my B&D mower? Can I scrap it for $$?

I hope it works out for you, but be forwarned that if you have any warranty issues that dealing with Greenworks is a pain in the rear. I don't know if that blade will work, since the blade and carrier on that mower are non-standard and probably not 19". I have the 16" Greenworks Li-Ion mower, and the blade is 15.5" long. If you are careful, you should get years of service from the original blade if you keep sharpening it. I sharpen all my blades on the mower, using a Dremel tool with a mower blade sharpening attachment. I dispose of stuff like that by leaving it at the curb, and it always simply disappears overnight.

Last edited:

JohnEQuest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I used it for the first time today. Got 40 minutes of cutting time from one battery and then I was finished, so who knows how long it would've actually run.

So far so good. I also bought the 40V chainsaw which shares the same batteries, so thats another bonus of going with the Greenworks line.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Well I used it for the first time today. Got 40 minutes of cutting time from one battery and then I was finished, so who knows how long it would've actually run.
I am surprised, but that's good news.

So far so good. I also bought the 40V chainsaw which shares the same batteries, so thats another bonus of going with the Greenworks line.
This one? Nice!

bhilferty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: CMM 1200 factory troubleshooting guide

Great factory repair guide attached.

Attachments

• CMM1200 Troubleshooting Guide.doc
    113 KB · Views: 38