clutch not releasing completely

mikem

Forum Newbie
My pre-owned 2001 CRAFTSMAN Tractor Model 272430 is having difficulty shifting gears. It seems that the clutch is not disengaging completely. When it is fully depressed and I shift into gear, the tractor lunges slightly. Then I have a tough time getting the shifter to move back to neutral or any other gear. However, when the engine is not running, the shifter moves freely. Is there an adjustment that can be made somewhere? I do not have an owners manual. Any diagrams would be helpful. Thanks.
 
My pre-owned 2001 CRAFTSMAN Tractor Model 272430 is having difficulty shifting gears. It seems that the clutch is not disengaging completely. When it is fully depressed and I shift into gear, the tractor lunges slightly. Then I have a tough time getting the shifter to move back to neutral or any other gear. However, when the engine is not running, the shifter moves freely. Is there an adjustment that can be made somewhere? I do not have an owners manual. Any diagrams would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm fairly sure there's an adjustment some where on your machine. The craftsman website probably has something online for you. Another possibility is that your belt is near the end of it's service life, and someone (PO, perhaps) has already taken all the adjustment available.:frown:
 
If it started doing this after you put a new belt on the belt could be a size to small. I have had this happen before
 
Since it is used (pre owned) maybe the belt is the wrong one. Check the numbers. BTW, my Craftsman GT has no adjustments on the clutch.
 
Back
Top