Cleaning Lawnboy engines? How do you guys do it?

Phototone

Threads
OK, I like to disassemble and repaint the decks and gas tanks, sometimes handlebars, other bits and pieces, make the mowers look like new. Generally the aluminum engines themselves are really quite nasty, with oily dirt, sometimes oxidation of the aluminum. I generally use 2-3 cans of spray carb cleaner ($1.97 can at Walmart) and a stiff bristle brush, and this gets most off, but still the cylinder fins are a hard row of stumps to get looking fairly good. I clean up the unit as best as possible before I open the engine up. Just wondering how others go about getting their engines sparkling clean?

Mike88se

Threads
Simple green and judicious use of a pressure washer works pretty well for most things. You have to be careful where you spray and which tip you use. I'm sure that would work great on head cooling fins.

robinb66

Threads
I personally use diesel fuel.
Put the part i want to clean in it and let soak 2 or 3 hours.Scrub it off using wire brush and parts cleaning brush and blow it off with air pressure to dry it

jp1961

Threads
You could use engine degreaser, I've also used Mr. Clean (in a fairly strong concentration with hot water). On Duraforce engines, you really need to remove the carb and scrub with an old toothbrush to remove all the packed in crud. My 1999 Duraforce LawnBoy runs like new after replacing the needle and seat and a thorough cleaning.

Jeff