Clamping Blade Blocker

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many mowers have a 3 blade deck . Maybe i'm missing how a clamp blade blocker works on the center blade of a 3 blade deck .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I had never used one, I just use a 2x4 or 4x4 to block the blades.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If i can determine how to make an ellipse with a 12" length of pvc you won't need a clamp .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The service van has a length of rectangular hollow steel tube that I just slide over the blade .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Apparently you have never ran into some that even my 1300 ft-lb Air Cat impact can't loosen. I know it sounds like it should but there is just movement of the blade assy to keep it from doing it. On those it is blocking the blade, using a 3/4" pull bar with a 5 ft extension, I row boat the fasteners off with both feet on the deck and both hands on the extension. Definitely want to be using 6 point impact sockets.

These are mostly on Scag and Gravely ZTRs.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has anyone had a blade come off be because the lack of torque ? I kinda doubt it . Even if a blade that comes off doesn't fly several hundred ft. killing a half dozen neighbor kids and their dog , it drops to the dirt with maybe a clang noise if it hits the deck once . Been there done that but it was my error not getting the blade seated correct . Try about 30 - 40 ft. lbs. of torque with a 12 point box wrench .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes I had them to come off. And some has to be torque quite a bit when not keyed. The main reason we to a spec is to keep the blades from over torquing the screws as they slip.

But I never come flying out from under deck except when one the blades hit the fallen blade. It happen once here and the blade did go about 20 ft cartwheeling across my lawn. At least it wasn't as bad as the horseshoe that went sailing over two hundred feet. That one I nearly cut in two with the deck blade.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Someone isn't pitching enough horse shoes . lol There isn't any grass to mow in that area if enough is played .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well my place used to be horse farm so there are thrown shoes buried the ground along lots of golf balls so I have to always mow with discharge facing into my property. It is either that or take out a windshield.