Choke ? on the YTH24K48

badjujumatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need some assistance with starting my brand new tractor. Tried to get it going for the second cut but had some trouble with the choke. This is unlike any other I have operated on my tractors. When I pull the choke out, there is resistance. The choke will not stay full open unless I continue to pull and hold it open. All the chokes I have operated have no resistance, I pull the choke out, fire the engine and push it back in. Need some guidance from you Husky experts!

TnHusky

Threads
I'm no expert by any means but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express about a month ago, and I do have the same mower.:laughing: Anyway, it just takes a split second to get mine to crank using the choke. I pull it up and it turns over maybe once then fires and I make sure the choke is off. Now I do this at idle. Then if it starts to die I just hit the choke real quick again and I'm ready. Usually though it only takes 1 try and I'm good to go. Hope this helps!!

Ifixdit

Threads
Need some assistance with starting my brand new tractor. Tried to get it going for the second cut but had some trouble with the choke. This is unlike any other I have operated on my tractors. When I pull the choke out, there is resistance. The choke will not stay full open unless I continue to pull and hold it open. All the chokes I have operated have no resistance, I pull the choke out, fire the engine and push it back in. Need some guidance from you Husky experts!

Trace the entire path of the choke linkage and make sure there is nothing getting in the way of the cable moving freely. Sometimes the air cleaner box can hinder the cable from moving freely. I've also seen where particulary large fuel filters have been added to the fuel lines and get in the way of the cable. Usually if the cable is removed and rerouted the problem can be solved. Good luck!

badjujumatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trace the entire path of the choke linkage and make sure there is nothing getting in the way of the cable moving freely. Sometimes the air cleaner box can hinder the cable from moving freely. I've also seen where particulary large fuel filters have been added to the fuel lines and get in the way of the cable. Usually if the cable is removed and rerouted the problem can be solved. Good luck!

Should the choke lever stay open on its own? I pull the choke out and have to continue to hold it.

TnHusky

Threads
Should the choke lever stay open on its own? I pull the choke out and have to continue to hold it.

I'll go check mine and get back in a min.
Well I checked and yes, mine will stay up if needed.

Ifixdit

Threads

The choke is usually controlled by a cable on the console so it will stay in whatever position you move it to.

Kenneth

Threads

I'm not an expert nor a mechanic. However I do work on my own stuff. But in this case I also have that same mower. The choke should move freely, approximately 3/4 to one inch. Doesn't come up very far. But it stays put, till you shove it down. Like the man said, "follow the cable to the carb. " Gotta be binding on something. Good luck

Zenmower

Threads
I am a brand new owner of same mower. I did not need to use the choke the first time I cranked it. And I recently mowed the 2nd time with it and did not use the choke then either. I just pushed the throttle to max, turned the key and vrooom! Now I may be mistaken (and I don't have the manual nearby to reference it), but it seems on this model, the choke is there for a cold start IF it won't start easily with the throttle up? But that recollection is a tad fuzzy.

I am trying to reserve using the choke for times it won't crank right away with it throttled up alone. But if this is hard on the mower, please correct me! :ashamed: