chinese chainsaw?

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Would anyone buy one of those really cheap chainsaws off of ebay. The look promising but I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one of them. Here are the two that I have been looking at:
Timberpro 62cc Petrol Chainsaw 20" Bar 2X Saw Chain Alloy Assisted Start | eBay
52cc 22" EPA Chainsaw Cutting Wood Gas Chain Saw Aluminum Gasoline 2 4HP Engine | eBay

One goes by the name TimberPro and the other one is a no name. The timberpro one looks halfway decent and well built and Im seriously thinking about purchasing one. Any input would be appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it was me I would stay with one of the more popular name saws. Something has that been proven.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only have a question, where are you going to get them service or get parts? Don't know of anyone in a 100 circle of here who would even look at them.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Timber pro saw is built by one of the biggest Chinese factories.

Mitox - Trees--Logs - Chainsaws-

I sell these which will probably be the same saw but with different specs.

We give a warranty, full spares and service back up

The specifications vary from things like Walbro carb, Oregon bar & chain to engines units being manufactured in Europe or China. The distributer controls the quality which results in how much he pays.
The Chinese carbs for example are difficult to get gaskets and diaphragms even though they look like Walbro.

Chinese product requires more TLC when looking after them.

The problem is like Rivets states, if you cant get spares and it cant be serviced then there isn't much point in having one!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got 2 customers who use these junk saws.
They bring them to me first & I adjust them where possible and fit electric saw chain on a longer bar.
Both have a lot of commercial work and use these saws for hedge pruning, not sawing real wood.
Most times they get 10 to 20 months out of them and as soon as they give troubles throw them away.
The logic behind this is sharpening the good pruners costs $60 and that was a 2-3 times a year job.
Saws cost $ 90 + $ 50 for my bit and now the hedgers only get used for fine work and have not needed sharpening for the past 2 years.
The chain saws are also quicker & time is money.
They also use them for under fence clearing where there is a lot of shrubby growth.
same story, quicker than the big trimmers fitted with the really expensive chain saw blade disc

Nwatson99

Threads
Personally I would not touch those clones, that is the reason you buy a Stihl, Husky, brands like that whom have spent the money for Research and Development to produce the high end saws.
The china crap is nothing but knock-offs with inferior parts built for near nothing and why our Country allows the import of this junk amazes me and makes me wonder why have a patten office and patten laws.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
China (not so much Taiwan) has a long, long way to go in quality. Their metallurgy sucks. As with purses , tires etc etc they are good at knock offs in appearance. Korea seems to be catching Japan, but China must come out of the cottage industry in many things to compete. Anyway I would expect most consumer items to contain some questionable parts. I do shop at H Frt, but carefully. You can scratch a lot of H Frt's "hardened parts" with a pen knife.:eek:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep, got some suposed Oregon bars on a Chineese cheapo that sufferred from a laminar fracture which is a defect in the rolling process the bars were made out of.
Checked with my distributor t see if I could make a warrantee claim on the bar.
The reply was the saw company is not an Oregon customer nor an authorised used of the brand name , ie a fake.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
China (not so much Taiwan) has a long, long way to go in quality.

Yes that is due to not being controlled by a decent OEM.
If controlled then can be just as good.

Take the Stihl MS170.
An awful thing that coming from a Stihl reps mouth is made in China.
Same as the HS45 hedgetrimmer which will do a job but just not Stihl standard of old and don't get me started on the HS81 which goes through conrods like they are made of cheese.

I would take my Mitox product (which is designed for homeowner use) and say it will be just as good.
I can also put it to 1 man commercial applications and be sure that it will do the job at a reasonable price.

Look at Loncin which will be the 2nd biggest air cooled engine manufacturer behind B & S.
Toro have using it for years and have now just designed and produced a Vtwin which sounds and runs great.

China I am afraid is here to stay and as a dealer you have to go with the times and if that's what the market wants then that's what you have to sell to survive!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
China (not so much Taiwan) has a long, long way to go in quality. Their metallurgy sucks. As with purses , tires etc etc they are good at knock offs in appearance. Korea seems to be catching Japan, but China must come out of the cottage industry in many things to compete. Anyway I would expect most consumer items to contain some questionable parts. I do shop at H Frt, but carefully. You can scratch a lot of H Frt's "hardened parts" with a pen knife.:eek:

It is not China it is greedy Americans , Greedy Australians etc.
China can make products far far superior to anything coming out of any factory in the good ol USA only problem is they cost almost as much.
It is the immoral AMERICAN wholesale buyers who go there looking for the cheapest product that can find then place a larger order demanding a cheaper yet price then flog them off to American idiots who believe the magic pudding is real, make massive profits buy another block of units in Florida then go over to China and buy a second load demanding an even cheaper still price.( Insert Aust for American & Gold Cosast for Florida for local story)

A group of us get obsolete wiring looms made in China because we can no longer buy the parts to make them locally.
We have been doing this for a long time ( 12 years ).
The factory manager says we are the only customer from outside China that does not demand repeat orders be supplied for a cheaper price every time.
We actually pay more for each repeat order on the condition that the quality remains the same or improves.

China spends more on Metallurgical research than the rest of the world combined I know this because I am ( or was ) a metallurgist and still subscribe to a lot of trade journals.
The new integrated iron & Steel plant due to be commissioned in 2016 /2017 will have a larger out put than the entire USA steel production and will bankrupt the USA steel industry which will not be able to compete .
They have already bankrupted the Australian iron industry we closed down our last blast furnace two years ago and Australia had the cheapest pig iron in the world prior to that.
China is also building the largest integrated aluminium plant in the world and one of only 2 which will be fully integrated and the only one with in line foundry as well as billet / pig plant.
When that is completed it will bankrupt every aluminium plant world wide.
They can do this because flag saluting patriotic companies in Amercis, Australia , UK , France , Germany etc etc scour the world for the lowest input prices in order to make the highest profits for their shareholders.
China is using the West's greed to bring the West down much the same as the US used the Soviets parranoia to bankrupt Russia.

Sorry to get all political but I do have friends who have gone to work for Chineese companies.
They only make garbage because we buy garbage because we are too greedy to pay a fair price for quality products.