Checking camshaft endplay on 15HP Kohler

panthersfan

Threads
The service manual says to use tool KO1031 (see attached) but I can't locate the tool anywhere. Is there an alternate method to check the end play?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Cam.JPG
    Cam.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 18

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
the bolt in the center holds the gear so it doesnt come out of position..the rest is a fancy straitedge..you can build this..but you have to get a true strait edge...no fudging on this one..:wink:

panthersfan

Threads
By looking at the tool it looks like it holds the camshaft perfectly "plum". How critical do think this is?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its critical to the clearance.....theres another way of doing this...a little trick...[ i cant believe im suggesting this!]....use 2 feeler guages on each side....someone has to hold the gear...set two strait edges across..one on each side of gear center.....and you take feelers set at the same 1000th's...one in each hand... [and of course just the slightest oil film on them]...and get to where both are dragging evenly....if it sounds too complicated ...dont do it:laughing:

panthersfan

Threads
No, that actually makes sense. I was also thinking I might be able to make a tool using the oil pan side of the block as a template.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok....i can see your brain is figuring it out:thumbsup:....your template idea sounds promising:thumbsup:..i like that too...tell us how it progresses:smile:

panthersfan

Threads
Ok, I know I'm probably over thinking this but here is another idea. I hold the camshaft still and have someone hold the speed square in place. Then check it, what do you think? Yeah, I'm over thinking this... :laughing:

Attachments

• Cam3.jpg
    Cam3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well ...it might work...but you need a strait edge to check it:laughing:.....i have 24" one that is .0002 allowance per 20" of length...thats good enough for most engines:thumbsup:

panthersfan

Threads
Ah, so the speed square doesnt count as a straight edge.. :thumbdown:

Next quest.. straight edge!

originalswampfox

Threads
What's the end play clearance, I'm just curious? With the crank and the cam being being pushed in opposite directions due to the angle of the gears what is allowed?