CHECK THE SPECIFICATIONS

Tornadoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My old Kubota with the 15 hp Kohler became almost impossible to start. For a year we struggled with getting it to fire strong enough to overcome the compression release. Once running it was powerful and ran normally. Then, getting it ready for this summer's mowing I could not get it to start at all. It had good spark, and the plug looked great. Checking compression was impossible because of the automatic compression release, but it used little oil and did not smoke at all. So, I figured there must be a valve leaking, pulled the head, and using gasoline in the reports determined the valves were fine. But I removed them and lapped them with compound. Before reinstalling the head I decided to install the plug because I had difficulty getting it to start into the hole. Upon seating the plug I discovered the plug was TOO SHORT! Yes, someone, a past repairman or owner had installed the WRONG PLUG! Thankfully. I checked the SPECIFICATIONS and discovered I had the proper plug setting on a shelf, installed it, reinstalled the head, and VIOLA! The old Kohler fired right up! Why didn't I think of that before removing the head? The lesson is, do not assume that a former repairman or owner knew what they were doing!