Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a blown 30 amp regulator fuse how to find and test regulator
any help please
dave

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If we knew which engine model you have, we could help you a whole lot better. Post model and serial numbers off the engine tag.

maggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 618 serial number 5415475 2004 grasshopper

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Model 618 serial number 5415475 2004 grasshopper
I am working on replacing stator and regulator/rectifier on an approximately 20 year old Grasshopper 618. Engine identification information is gone, and best I can tell it is a Kohler Command CH18. It is a fairly involved job to replace these parts. Stator was charging at 19.8 volts AC when tested. Should be about 28 volts AC. When you are in there with engine shroud off, be sure to check snd clean cooling fins. See very few Grasshopper zero turns and I am glad. Not a fan at all.

maggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am working on replacing stator and regulator/rectifier on an approximately 20 year old Grasshopper 618. Engine identification information is gone, and best I can tell it is a Kohler Command CH18. It is a fairly involved job to replace these parts. Stator was charging at 19.8 volts AC when tested. Should be about 28 volts AC. When you are in there with engine shroud off, be sure to check snd clean cooling fins. See very few Grasshopper zero turns and I am glad. Not a fan at all.
Thanks that does help i did find the regulator will test it

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks that does help i did find the regulator will test it
I replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier yesterday, and still getting no charging, and 50 volts AC from stator. Never had this problem after removing and replacing stator. Any suggestions other than the flywheel may need to be replaced?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Flywheel won't need replacing as you are generating the require output voltage.

You do have the regulator grounded don't you? It would not be the first time I have seen other techs to forget to ground the regulator case.

Also is the battery voltage at the B+ when not running? These regulators do require standing battery voltage to present in order to operate.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Flywheel won't need replacing as you are generating the require output voltage.

You do have the regulator grounded don't you? It would not be the first time I have seen other techs to forget to ground the regulator case.

Also is the battery voltage at the B+ when not running? These regulators do require standing battery voltage to present in order to operate.
Star Tech-
I have regulator/rectifier grounded. Also hooked up temporary additional ground wire and still not charging. There is power from battery to middle wire at regulator when engine is not running. I am at a loss and have several hours labor in this repair and don’t know what it could be. Can anyone offer any additional help. Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Do you have least the battery voltage on the B+ when the engine is running?

Yes you said you with the power off but it be kind of rare ignition switch problem. Just depends on the wiring of the system.