Changing Hydraulic oil in Hustler Raptor SD 54

Jmlowery

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question that I hope one of you can answer. I have been doing maintenance and changing fluids on my Hustler so its ready when Spring rolls around. Today I was changing the oil in the hydraulic system and after draining it out putting new filters on I went to add the fresh fluid through the holding tank under the seat. I did this and filled it up a little past the cold level mark and noticed that it did not seem to be draining down into the transmissions, I then put the cap back on and cranked the mower thinking that might suck the fluid down, but it still remained at the same level. I then with the wheels off and the rear end jacked up pushed both bars forward and could see both hubs spinning, but still the fluid level had not moved as far as I could tell. I then took one of the filters off to check and see if the oil had made it that far and very little had. So my question is what is the procedure for refilling hydraulic oil in a Hustler Raptor SD? Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question that I hope one of you can answer. I have been doing maintenance and changing fluids on my Hustler so its ready when Spring rolls around. Today I was changing the oil in the hydraulic system and after draining it out putting new filters on I went to add the fresh fluid through the holding tank under the seat. I did this and filled it up a little past the cold level mark and noticed that it did not seem to be draining down into the transmissions, I then put the cap back on and cranked the mower thinking that might suck the fluid down, but it still remained at the same level. I then with the wheels off and the rear end jacked up pushed both bars forward and could see both hubs spinning, but still the fluid level had not moved as far as I could tell. I then took one of the filters off to check and see if the oil had made it that far and very little had. So my question is what is the procedure for refilling hydraulic oil in a Hustler Raptor SD? Thanks

Did you remove the top port plug from the left drive so it would vent? If you didn't remove the plug the oil wont drain from the tank.

Jmlowery

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not do that, I will go see if that could be my issue. Thank you very much!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did not do that, I will go see if that could be my issue. Thank you very much!

Gotta be vented if not the oil can't get by the air. Air has to have somewhere to go.

Jmlowery

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've just been looking at it and was unable to find the top port plug on either the left or right drive. The Transmission is a Hydro-gear ZH-JCBB-3EMB-2PXX, which I have been able to find very little information on. Any further help would be much appreciated.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've just been looking at it and was unable to find the top port plug on either the left or right drive. The Transmission is a Hydro-gear ZH-JCBB-3EMB-2PXX, which I have been able to find very little information on. Any further help would be much appreciated.

There is a vent plug should be located along the top inside of the drive unit, it's the 2800 / 3100 Integrated Hydrostatic Transaxle ZT Series. looks like you remove it with an allen wrench, it should be located below the second top cover bolt.

Jmlowery

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help, the model on my mower must have been slightly different. It had a hex relief screw on the inside toward the top on both drives that resembled what would be found to add fluid on a rear differential. I took those out and it sucked the oil right into the transmissions.

lair

Forum Newbie
Threads
where is the top left port for draining hydraulic fluid on hustler raptor sd?

L454S

Threads
The top left port is facing the inside at the top on the transaxle and needs an allen wrench to remove for venting. There is one on the right transaxle also(same location) and it must be removed also. Just did mine, requires right at 5 quarts 20W50 motor oil( I used Castrol GTX). You can make access to the vent plugs easier by removing the trans brake levers(pop off the C clip). There is a write up for the procedure online. There is no drain plug, units drains through the filter on removal.

Dealer wanted $53 for 2 new filters. I walked out laughing. Got online and found 2 new factory Hydro Gear 52114 filters for $17 shipped.

Here is a writeup I found that helped but not the same mower. My operators manual says to service the transaxles after the first year or 75 hrs, whichever is first.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE- Hydro-Gear says the zt-2800 needs a fluid change after the first 75-100 hours and then every 400 hours. It suggests a 20w-50, so I used a 20w-50 synthetic motor oil. All together, 4.5 quarts went in. Also, instead of using (2) JD oil filters, I used (2) purlator oil filters.

*This is for the 2011 z425 models that does NOT have the engine turned in the frame.

**Do all at your own risk! Use this post as assistance. I am not a professional mechanic. Even though it worked great.

1. Drive the z425 around a bit to warm up the fluid in the transaxles. Park.

2. Jack up the back of the z425 so that the tires are about 1-2 inches off the ground. I put one single jack in the middle of the back part of the frame. You want the rear wheels to be about to spin off the ground.

3. Take off the reservoir cap, and then go under each wheel hydro and take the plastic guards off each oil filter. 3 bolts holds it on. Also, behind each wheel is a rod to allow the hydro to be in neutral. Pull each rod towards you so that both wheels are in neutral. (you'll need this later for the purging)

4. Place two oil pans under each filter, remove filter, and let all the fluid drain from the system. About 15 minutes.

5. After drainage, clean around each filter port, fill new filters will a little oil, and put on (2) new oil filters. Put guards back on if you want.

6. Now, here is what's important. You can't just pour new oil into the reservoir. You must unscrew (2) allen plugs. One on each side. Each is on the side, very close to where the hoses connect to the hydros. Use a 1/4" allen wrench. (it helps to take out the battery.. they are in tight as well). This will allow the new oil to drain in quickly and breathe as you fill. Also, clean each allen plug and put some anti-seize on them.

7. With both plugs out and new filters on, start pouring new oil into reservoir. Each transaxle takes about 2 quarts. You will know when each hydro is filled because oil will start to pour out of the exposed hole from the allen plug.

8. After you put in about 2 quarts, start watching the allen plug hole on the left side hydro (one right under the reservoir). This one will fill first. As soon as you see oil coming out of the hole, quickly screw the plug back in.

9. Pour in another 2 quarts, and you'll see oil start to come out of the other allen plug hole on the other side. Put that allen plug back in. Tighten each plug to about 180 INCH pounds.

10. With both plugs in, I poured about 1/4-1/2 of a 5th quart into the reservoir. Keep the reservoir level to COLD FILL LEVEL, and keep the reservoir cap off for purge procedures.

11. Now you have to purge the system. Make sure the neutral rods are pulled towards you (remember from step 3 - the little rods behind each wheel).

12. With the z425 still jacked up, wheels off ground, get on and start up. Take the parking brake off and slowly move the throttle levers forward and reverse about 5-6 times. The tires shouldn't move.

13. Keep the tractor running, get off, and push the neutral rods back in to allow the wheels to move.

14. Get back on the tractor, take the parking brake off, and move the levers again. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward, reverse. Again, again, and again for about 5-10 minutes. The wheels will spin. Also, as you do this, look behind you into the reservoir. You'll see air bubbles come up from the hoses. This is getting the air out of the system.

15. After about 5-10 minutes of purging, drive the z425 around. When I drove mine, there was no more squeal while driving and turning. I was very happy.

16. Keep an eye on the reservoir level for the next couple of cuts to make sure all air is out of the system.

*Hope this helps someone. I was very pleased with my results.
**Download the Hydro-Gear zt-2800 manual because it'll have pictures.

Hopefully I remembered everything. If you have any questions, please post.

Last edited:

Doug44

Threads
Yesterday I changed the oil & filters in my Raptor SD. What a PIA IMHO. I was barely able to actually get a good clear view from the rear of the tractor of the vent plugs. Also I was unsure what actual size of Allen it needed. Not wanting to screw up the heads in the air plugs I ended up removing the mower deck getting a much better view to make a positive i.d. On not only the correct size (1/4 inch Allen) but to be damn certain I was firmly seated in the plugs. Beware if you screw up these heads you are in big trouble !! Both the plug and the filter on the right side was installed by a goreallla at Hydra Drive Factory ! I ended up having to drive a screwdriver thru the filter to spin it off. The air plug finally broke loose with a 3/8 breaker bar on the end on a 1/4 " Allen socket. Beware as simple as this should be its not for the faint of heart or 1st time wrench. The big heavy mower deck not to mention getting the belt back on the clutch pulley was also difficult at least the 1st time you do it. What should have been an hour job turned into a 4 hour cut up hands job.

Btw my dealer also wanted $60 for the pair of filters. I finally got him down to $15 each plus tax for the white factory Hydra Drive filters. I also used Castrol 20w50 oil to refill using about 4.3 qt total. My tractor had 42 hrs on it and is a year old. The oil I drained looked brand new in color and appearance. I would say these units can go 75-100 hrs easily the first fill. I didn't price what my dealer charges for this service but he wants $65 for in city pickup/Del alone. I am assuming with that pickup charge and parts & labor you are looking at $300 easily with him. I wonder what others here are getting charged at their dealers ?