Chain saw starts but stalls after a few seconds

robc77

Forum Newbie
I have tried every possible thing I can think of: new spark plug, checked compression, replaced all gas lines, replaced primer bulb, disassembled and cleaned carb, changed gas. Saw will start, but it will only burn the gas from the primer bulb. Throttle works fine, and I can keep the saw going if I gently keep pumping the primer bulb. As soon as I stop, the saw stalls out. Obviously the carb is not pulling the gas from the bulb, but I dont know what else to do.
 
1st off:welcome: next thing how about a brand name and model so we can better help:thumbsup:
 
What happens when the diaphrams get dried out? They let in air that takes away from the fuel line suction?
 
Don't know the exact carb you have, (Zama, Walbro, Tilliston) but with any of these the diaphragms and gaskets, (there are both pump and shut off) will dry out and and either not stretch properly or not seal properly. They may look good, but will not function. Another problem customers make when they take them apart, is that they put them back together wrong. If you reverse the gasket and the diaphragm, on either side they will not work.
 
I checked and it is a Zama. I will check to see that the gaskets are in properly, and look for a rebuild kit. Thanks for your help.
 
Back
Top