Central Park steering issue

Ohsoblue92

Threads
Good morning all,
Quick question for anyone that can help. My buddy picked up an older Central Park rider last night off of CL. Over all the mower looks to be in good shape. A little older and shows some normal wear and tear for the age of the machine however it looks to have spent much of its life in a shed or garage. Durring the test drive we noticed that when turning to the right in a tight radius it makes a popping feeling in the steering colum. While turning to the left it turns just fine. We are going to take a look at it this weekend but I figure it has to be a worn steering sprocket either on the upper steering wheel end or the lower end. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar situation and a possible fix. Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Central Park is likely just a brand name put on a brand like AYP/Roper or more likely MTD, put up the numbers and whatever else is on the tag under the seat so we know what you have.

Ohsoblue92

Threads
Here's the pic form the CL add. I won't really get to look at the model number till this weekend. Pretty sure it is made by the MTD company. I have already been reviewing thd IPB for them online. Looks like parts are pretty readily availible for them.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did a little googling of that name, I saw some MTDs, AYP/Ropers, and a few Murrays. Hard to tell from the pic, but it kinda looks like an AYP

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Central Park mowers were built by MTD. If it has a 38" deck a possible model number is 130-658G046. From your description I would suspect a bad steering segment, bad gear on the steering shaft and/or bearing. You are going to have to remove the deck and crawl under the unit while someone turns the steering wheel to see what is causing the problem. I would replace the bearing for sure, if you replace any parts down there.

Ohsoblue92

Threads
I did a little googling of that name, I saw some MTDs, AYP/Ropers, and a few Murrays. Hard to tell from the pic, but it kinda looks like an AYP

Thanks Fish, My buddy doesn't own a grease gun or tools so I'm going to go over there this weekend. I will look up the model and MFR which should give me a better place to start looking. Thanks for the quick response... I appreciate it!

Ohsoblue92

Threads
Central Park mowers were built by MTD. If it has a 38" deck a possible model number is 130-658G046. From your description I would suspect a bad steering segment, bad gear on the steering shaft and/or bearing. You are going to have to remove the deck and crawl under the unit while someone turns the steering wheel to see what is causing the problem. I would replace the bearing for sure, if you replace any parts down there.

Excellent. Thank you Rivets..... I will be sure to pull the deck off this weekend too. Figure there are grease fittings on there that haven't been hit in a while. I'll snap some better pics of the underside as the project gets rolling. I'm more familiar with Cub Cadet and Deere products so I'm looking forward to learning about this one as well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good luck finding grease fittings, MTD only uses them on the steering axles, if at all. That's one of the big reasons I feel MTD equipment is one of the cheapest and poorest quality manufacturers out there today. You get what you pay for and nothing more, probably less.

Ohsoblue92

Threads
Wow..... No grease fittings on a mower deck..... INTERESTING.... I agree they are a pretty cheap machine good thing the price was right!!!!!!! Well for now anyway.......

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Central Park

Like I said, could easily be made by both companies, I also saw references for Murray in my search, so maybe 3 companies.

Tractor Supply, lowes, Sears, and many, many other "brand" mowers had different manufacturers.........