Cemetaries

mowerguy

Threads
I was contacted about bidding on a few local cemeteries. I haven't dealt with any cemeteries so I'm not sure what I am getting into. All I know is they look time consuming. Any one else have any thoughts or issues they have ran into? What worries me is the flowers and vases people put up all the time.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was contacted about bidding on a few local cemeteries. I haven't dealt with any cemeteries so I'm not sure what I am getting into. All I know is they look time consuming. Any one else have any thoughts or issues they have ran into? What worries me is the flowers and vases people put up all the time.

I help maintain a small family cemetery and yes it can be time consuming.

From a good business standpoint I recommend having a very detailed contract of what is expected for each of the cemeteries in question so you can bid accordingly.

Threads
I do 3 in indiana and they are not as bad as most people think: two of them are about 5 acres one with 1500 stone heads and the other being about 1300 and each take about 3 hours with 4 people and 2 mowers as a mower part it's just a pain to get around everything I would not do without a zero turns,as far as the floors ext. what we do is not trim real close to them, we have noticed that the strings eat some of the plastic etc. off and then they may complain so we leave 2 inches around. It would be a good idea to have insurance if you don't, accidents happen easily at them places cause it's so tight and them stones are not cheap, the first few times will suck but you will get a strategy to make it easier and not get dizzy lol

mowerguy

Threads
Where abouts in Indiana are you? I'm from southern Indiana. I just placed a bid on two today and going to look at another this week. I'm still unsure but I'm going to give it a try and not look back.

mowerguy

Threads
Is there a certain date when they must remove all flowers? Or do you have to mow around them? These 2 cemeteries let them leave them there so those all have to be trimmed around. But that's every two weeks.

mowerguy

Threads
I believe the churches do. They are smaller ones. Two to three acres.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a certain date when they must remove all flowers? Or do you have to mow around them? These 2 cemeteries let them leave them there so those all have to be trimmed around. But that's every two weeks.
This is why I suggested a written contract to determine if you are to be the ground's keeper or just mow and trim . Invariably your mower or trimmer will contact decorative additions and scatter artificial flowers, styrofoam and drink cups left by irresponsible people and someone must pick up after those people to maintain a respectable appearing property . Will this be you ? Better get that type of thing etched in concrete because there are people that will walk on you, church cemetery or not .

mowerguy

Threads
That's definitely a good point. It's sad to think what some people will do these days. Church people or not. I will have to go over this clearly before I agree and get it all documented before any work is done. Thanks for the pointers!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's definitely a good point. It's sad to think what some people will do these days. Church people or not. I will have to go over this clearly before I agree and get it all documented before any work is done. Thanks for the pointers!

mowerguy,
Yeah, sadly Government regulations and laws have forced many churches to have to "operate like a business", dotting every i and crossing every t just to maintain a not-for-profit tax-exempt status:0(
This has forced "Church people" to have to act like "business leaders".....which doesn't mesh well with "Christian actions":0(