Carburetor Rebuild

panabiker

Well-Known Member
I am trying to rebuild a carburetor on a B&S 18hp engine. The overhaul kit from B&S contains a new needle valve and a new brass sleeve which the needle is supposed to go in. However, I am not sure how I should remove the old sleeve from the carb body. Here is a picture.
carb-1.JPG
If I can't remove it, I might just replace the needle and use the old sleeve.
By the way, I posted my original problem with fuel flood and I thought I had resolved it by cleaning the carb. Now, it started leaking again, so I feel an overhaul with new needle valve is necessary.
 
you usually tap a thread....then get the right sized bolt and use the right sized socket....put the bolt thru the socket....i think i used a 6-32 or 8-32 last time...something in that range.................................theres another thing you can do....but it takes some work...ive used an eraser head trimmed down to fit the seat [ you can use the new one to match it] and some rubbing compound and work it back and forth to polish the seat....then you use carb cleaner to back wash it so nothing goes into the carb :smile:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0916[1].jpg
    IMG_0916[1].jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
also....if you're going to extract it i would get a bowl of cold water with ice cubes and drop the carb in there for 10 minutes to contract the metal so its easier to remove
 
i use those little vinyl white ones...they dont crumble like the red ones :thumbsup:.....what ever COMPOUND you use....make sure it has grit in it....thats whats really doing the work
 
Last edited:
Well, it's not very easy to reduce the size of the eraser (mine is light green) so I ended up using Q-tips with metal polishing compound. The inside of the brass sleeve became quite shiny when done. I put everything together and the engine ran perfectly. Since I also installed the fuel cut-off valve, I won't find out if I really fixed the leak problem but that's fine.
 
Back
Top