Carb Question

Berniebac

Threads
I have two carbs for my lawn tractor. I had one home over the winter and cleaned it out and wanted to reinstall it, while I bring the carb that is on the tractor home to clean out. That way I always have a clean one ready to go. I got two cause I saved the parts from my blown motor.

I have reinstalled the carb but can't recall how the throttle hooks up to the carb. I have the throttle cable hooked up properly. There is a hole in the Control Bracket that must line up with a hole in the Choke Link when adjusting the throttle cable. I have it lined up and have adjusted the throttle cable, but when I push the throttle to "Fast", I don't see it making any adjustment to the carb.

Should the Governor Control Lever move forward far enough to press against the Choke Link (the thing that looks like an oversized paper clip)? When you move the throttle to the fast position shouldn't you be able to see something on the carb moving to a new position that would result in a faster speed? Will try to attach a photo of the Control Bracket.

Attachments

• Carb-Throttle.JPG
    Carb-Throttle.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 14

Ifixdit

Threads
I have two carbs for my lawn tractor. I had one home over the winter and cleaned it out and wanted to reinstall it, while I bring the carb that is on the tractor home to clean out. That way I always have a clean one ready to go. I got two cause I saved the parts from my blown motor.

I have reinstalled the carb but can't recall how the throttle hooks up to the carb. I have the throttle cable hooked up properly. There is a hole in the Control Bracket that must line up with a hole in the Choke Link when adjusting the throttle cable. I have it lined up and have adjusted the throttle cable, but when I push the throttle to "Fast", I don't see it making any adjustment to the carb.

Should the Governor Control Lever move forward far enough to press against the Choke Link (the thing that looks like an oversized paper clip)? When you move the throttle to the fast position shouldn't you be able to see something on the carb moving to a new position that would result in a faster speed? Will try to attach a photo of the Control Bracket.

It looks like you have everything hooked up correctly although we can't see where the throttle cable is attached. The governor control lever does push the choke link (oversized paper clip as you called it) forward to close the choke. Does the throttle cable work fine when not attached to the engine? When you move the throttle lever does it move freely without getting in a bind?

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks for the info guys.

Ifixdit: the throttle does move smooth and free.

Rivets: thanks for the manual. The motor does not look the same as the one I have but the carb components look similar. I have only had a chance to skim thru it but will go thru it in more detail as time permits. I suppose I should have followed the golden rule and posted Engine 14.5 hp Mod. 287707 Type 0224-01, Code 970117ZD.

Thanks again. Will follow up after I have a chance to tinker with it.

Berniebac

Threads
Thought I would update you. I checked the connections over according to the manual that Rivets provided and all looked good. I adjusted the valves cause it was hard to start at the end of last season. I put a quart of gas in hooked up the battery and hit the key. It started right up, and ran smooth. I mowed for about 45 minutes and it seems to be running great.

Next I want to get some Seafoam in the fuel and in the oil and keep 'er clean.

Thanks so much to Lawn Mower Forum. I couldn't keep my machines going without you guys. Have a carb kit coming for my push mower so that will be the next tear down.