Carb Cleaning

Sentinel

Threads
Yep, most likely a blockage in the carb... could be an air leak due to a failed gasket or cracked intake pipe. but most likely it is the carb that needs a bath time
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought so I will give it a boil in a bath.

Sentinel

Threads
Before I got the ultrasonic cleaner we used to boil carbs using a big pot & a dishwasher tablet
The ones with the ball in the middle seem to work better
A nice rolling boil works best
Give it an hour or so then boil some more water and take it out of the boiling soapy water then strait into the boiling rinse water
Give it a 5 minute rinse hen take out & blow dry.
Do not allow the carb to sit in the wash water unless it is boiling or it will oxadise.
Some like to do a pre-rinse in boiling water with some vinegar in it to neutralise the alkaline soap first.

Wait, are you sure about the boiling. This is a plastic carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wait, are you sure about the boiling. This is a plastic carb.
How the hell do you expect me to know your carb was plastic ?
All you have told us is it was on a B & S engine .
Plastic carbs rarely clog up that bad where a simple clean will not suffice
They usually fully pull apart
SO if you want good help then start with the model number of the engine so we know what advice to give you
In fact you might like to fully describe the problem you are having and why you think the carb needs a soak >

Sentinel

Threads
SO if you want good help then start with the model number of the engine so we know what advice to give you
In fact you might like to fully describe the problem you are having and why you think the carb needs a soak >
Were you insulted by the word "wait'? If so, I apologize. I merely mentioned it was plastic, something I didn't know myself until I pulled it off. I figured it needed a soak because of the surging the motor did when it did run and the fact I had never had it apart before. This new composite material is all new to me. I'm used to the 1950s and 1960s stuff. As far as what is wrong with the motor, that is being handled in other posts in which I have put not only details but pictures too. All I wanted from this post was to know what to clean it with and how. You mentioned boiling yourself. Maybe I should combine these posts into one so as not to create a big problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There were around 200 post yesterday
They get looked at in chronological order of posting.
Sorry if did not recognise you had another thread running.
Generally I do not but in if some one posts a problem & a person who I know is competient has started a dialogue with them
We all do things slightly differently and it just confuses the original poster, a case of too many chefs in the kitchen

As for insulting me not a hope in hell of doing that.
But it does help whoever is trying to help if the make & model numbers are included in the first post at best, or a refference to the other post at worst.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or if you don't know much about small engines and possibly live on a remote island, come here and ask away. Some of the nicer fellows will chime in. Engine numbers do help.

slomo

Sentinel

Threads
Yep, most likely a blockage in the carb... could be an air leak due to a failed gasket or cracked intake pipe. but most likely it is the carb that needs a bath time
Thanks for the reply to my other post "rusty gas tank" too. After I dug into the carb and took it off I realized it was a plastic (composite) carb. The 450 Series model 90000 Briggs carb is all new to me. It is such a simple thing. It mounts atop of the gas tank a with few screws, has one gasket, no bowl/float, no idle, or airflow adjustment. So, do you know how this thing actually works? My mower did work fine until the carb springs fell off and got lost. But it sure beats me how it can work well w/o adjustments once in a while.

Ann.Abrah

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know any household substance that would do as a carb soak? I cannot get carb cleaner here on this tiny south pacific island I live on so I must improvise. Nor can I get an air filter. Anyway I can use something else as an air filter? Thanks.
Oh, but maybe you can tell someone to send the carb cleaner to your island? I have problems with cleaning something, so in my house and garden was a total mess. But as everyone I want to live in a comfortable place, with an esthetic appearance, and clean rooms. I don't have time to take care about all of this, because I always work and sometimes I don't have the necessary time to eat. My sister told me to use procleaninglondon.co.uk. Now, my house and garden is totally different, they look very beautiful, everything smells way too good in my house and the most important - I feel nice in my house!

Last edited: