Repairs Carb Adjustment for fast and low speed

fkovacic

Threads
Hi, I have Lawn Boy model 10523, 1997, self propelled. I have clean the plastic type carburetor but I am not quite sure how to set the speed of the blade. It seem that when I have it in fast and shift it to slow, I don't hear a difference in the speed. If anything there very slight difference when adjusting the lever from fast to slow or slow to fast. I have checked the vane spring and its not broken but not sure if it weak though. I am not sure how to adjust the click type of adjuster on the vane. I do understand that when the the speed is on fast the governor tension should be stiffer the when the speed is on slow. Can anyone guide me on how to solve my idle speed concern? Otherwise my F engine LB starts fine, and runs fine but can't seem to resolve this idle speed concern. Thank you.

fkovacic

Threads
To adjust the speed just turn item #1 in this parts drawing below, each click of that adjust collar will change speed approximately 50 RPM. Clockwise will increase speed and counterclockwise will decrease speed. I would highly recommend making adjustment with the engine turned off.
https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplim...wdGlvbnMiO2E6MTp7czo1OiJ3aWR0aCI7aToxMDAwO319

Thank you for reply. May I ask when I am making the adjustment clockwise or counter clockwise what should my speed control be set at fast or slow? Or does it matter? Thank you.

Lawnboy77

Threads
Thank you for reply. May I ask when I am making the adjustment clockwise or counter clockwise what should my speed control be set at fast or slow? Or does it matter? Thank you.

High speed should be set to around 3,200 RPM. Low speed is not critical, but if you get the high speed set correctly the low speed will be around 2,900.

fkovacic

Threads
High speed should be set to around 3,200 RPM. Low speed is not critical, but if you get the high speed set correctly the low speed will be around 2,900.

Thank you again for your reply. How would you recommend for me to measure the RPM on the lawn mower. I know there are special tools to measure the rpm's. Is there a simple way of setting the rpm's? Thank you again for your advice.

Lawnboy77

Threads
I use a tachometer very similar to this ebay link...works great. There are many others types out there that will work fine as well, but for 20 bucks this one was the right one for me. If you are going to be using one often then a wireless one might be a better option. The one that I have just uses a test wire/lead that wraps around the spark plug wire. The only minor drawback with this type is that the excess wire that lays on the ground can be easily be sucked under the deck and chewed up. My tach now has short leads, but still works fine. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resettable-...182960?hash=item3f4cf6cf30:g:HQ8AAOSwZd1VWhF2