Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Briantii

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Ah, very nice! I just grabbed what I could find easily. I wish I had a machine shop, it’s for sure better than a drill and a vice.

I’m in the Atlanta area and you maybe right about ATF being the wrong choice. My first transmission on the stock oil had two chipped gears. I flushed it way back then and simply guessed at a fluid for it... figured it already had gear damage what’s the worst that could happen? That trans ran perfect for years until the shaft took so much wear around the bushings that I decided to replace it to try to get a better seal. When I put the new transmission in it, I started with dry lube on the bushings which was a massive failure. I believe it got so hot that the transmission itself locked up, but became unstuck once it cooled a bit. I took it apart expecting to find the new transmission with a chipped gear (but no damage thankfully). When I put it back together ATF was handy and I knew it hadnt hurt my original trans so I stuck with it.

I really like your felt idea too. My mower is coming up on 10 years old and have been fighting this bushing issue for way too long. Every year take it apart and clean it, runs great for a few mows, and slowly starts dragging again. If a simple felt seal or bearing conversion fixes it then I have no complaints. I’ll probably try adding the felt next time I clean the pinion gears. Right now my goal is to make it a full season without touching it - so far that’s looking promising.

Look forward to your feedback on how the felt holds up and the different bearings. It sounds like you’re on track for the best solution yet.

civic

Threads
My mower is 10-12 years old HRR2168VKA. The felt is very easy and you don't need to take much apart. Since you have the same resistance I wonder if I need to do the needle bearings. My machinist thought it was a get idea that will last vs. plastic bushing. I have had the same issue since this mower was 2 years old. Like you and most people here I get sick and tired of doing this every year. I want a fix for many years. I also like the idea you put seals on both ends of the adjuster. Honda must not care about this issue or they would have come up with a fix. Shame on them.

Briantii

Threads
I’d probably leave it alone and then switch to bearings if it ever acts up again. You’re right that Honda should be ashamed of this setup. It’s truly flawed and you know some engineer was begging management to spend $2 extra per mower to do it right. Everything else about these mowers is solid except this, and it happens to be such an annoying issue. There is no excuse for a mower that tears up grass anytime you try to pull it backwards.

civic

Threads
I am wonder if the needle bearings go dry of grease that they may eat into the shaft. Something to think about. I did buy a set of bearings and new adjusters with 2 extra seals. My bearings have a small rubber seal on each end. My machinist was too busy today but hopefully tomorrow.

Briantii

Threads
I am wonder if the needle bearings go dry of grease that they may eat into the shaft. Something to think about. I did buy a set of bearings and new adjusters with 2 extra seals. My bearings have a small rubber seal on each end. My machinist was too busy today but hopefully tomorrow.

Yeah, that is a risk, but it for sure already happens with the bushings. That’s why I replaced my transmission previously. It wears down significantly where the bushings and grit come together. I’ve been looking at the deck side of mine and with a newer shaft and so far I’m not seeing any leaking which hopefully means the grease is staying in there and in good shape.

civic

Threads
I got my adjusters back from the machine shop. The bearings are a press fit no need to epoxy but I ll need to epoxy one of the seals. I am excited to do this but I may wait until fall for 2 reasons. One it is hot, second and foremost I want to see if the felt works. Either way I believe I have a fix for at least several years instead of yearly. I also believe the needle bearings may have less resistance. Here are my pics.

Attachments

• adj..jpg
    adj..jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 47
  • adj1.jpg
    adj1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 47

Briantii

Threads
I got my adjusters back from the machine shop. The bearings are a press fit no need to epoxy but I ll need to epoxy one of the seals. I am excited to do this but I may wait until fall for 2 reasons. One it is hot, second and foremost I want to see if the felt works. Either way I believe I have a fix for at least several years instead of yearly. I also believe the needle bearings may have less resistance. Here are my pics.

Oh man that is WAY prettier than my handheld drill! I love the press fit. Mine wasn’t perfect enough to avoid epoxy. I swear you’ll have the best setup yet. Felt + extra dust seal + bearings. I’m jealous. I bet it’ll last a really long time like that and is what Honda should have given us to start with. Please keep us updated on how the felt alone does. I’m really curious if that’s all that’s really needed for most people.

civic

Threads
I was just looking up to see if you can just replace the shaft but it is part of the trans. Anyway the trans is only $50 shipped. I spent that on these adjusters and bearings. You know all the money I have spent on this lawn mower I could have bought a new one, but I am not a throw away type of guy. I like to repair things and see how it works. It is an education. I have never had a mower last me more than 3-4 years except this one and it cuts better, starts very easy than any mower I have ever had.

civic

Threads
Hey thanks. I am glad I found you. I was just browsing this forum the other day when I saw your idea. Yes I will keep you and everyone posted. I didn't need to buy new adjusters but I wanted to be ready for the install.

I am not sure you can see it, but these needle bearings have an o ring or seal at each end

Briantii

Threads
Yep, I’m with you. I’ve replaced the stupid adjusters more times than I care to admit. Youre right that the shaft is only sold with the trans. My problem is there aren’t many mowers I like better no matter what the price is - The new HRN looks decent but good chance I’d just go commercial if I replaced this one.