Can't find spindle for 72"

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Commercial customer is wanting to sell this. But make sure everything is good before doing it. This one spindle is getting a bit sloppy and wants it replaced.

I'm glad you said that. Because I've kept all of the spindles he's replaced thinking they might be rebuildable. Just never had the time to look into it.
Do what you need for the business but the spindle may just need the preload on the bearings adjusted or $20 in parts to replace the bearings. Sell him a new one, rebuild the old one and resell it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
As hammer said,
Built properly with tappered rollers
So provided the housing is not broken , and it is probably a steel fabrication you are just up for bearings or even just an adjustment.
This is the prime reason we keep on using the 2000 / 3000 series Cubs,
Tapers on the blades like they should be.

The last one I did, I had to almost completely disassemble the spindle to get it off. Me and the front end man just removed the seals and the bearings just a few minutes ago. Looks easy enough. He's well schooled on bearings and races.
The big bottom nut on this spindle is as tight as it'll go. No more adjustment on this. It's solid against the bearings and spacer (between the bearings).
So I'm gonna get new bearings, races and seals for it.

The customer is going to be happy about all this because he's been buying new spindles from the local dealer for about $200. Then paying me to put them on.

One question. Is that big nut supposed to be extremely hard to get off. Seems the closer it gets to coming off, the tighter it gets?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
According to the parts place it's a deck spindle...

The one on this machine doesn't have all those groves. Is smooth with the key slot. Just like the ones on the 52" and 61".

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The last one I did, I had to almost completely disassemble the spindle to get it off. Me and the front end man just removed the seals and the bearings just a few minutes ago. Looks easy enough. He's well schooled on bearings and races.
The big bottom nut on this spindle is as tight as it'll go. No more adjustment on this. It's solid against the bearings and spacer (between the bearings).
So I'm gonna get new bearings, races and seals for it.

The customer is going to be happy about all this because he's been buying new spindles from the local dealer for about $200. Then paying me to put them on.

One question. Is that big nut supposed to be extremely hard to get off. Seems the closer it gets to coming off, the tighter it gets?
it's not left hand threads is it?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last scag spindle i worked on took standard size bearings. Only issues was getting a thin walled 1 1/2" socket to get the nut off. If it is an older SCAG i would rebuild the spindle. Haven't worked on rhe newer style.

That nut you're talking about is a bugger to get off.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The one on this machine doesn't have all those groves. Is smooth with the key slot. Just like the ones on the 52" and 61".
wonder if someone else replaced them with the wrong spindles before? i highly doubt it but, seems weird, Scag shows one thing, then the mower its self shows another.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
wonder if someone else replaced them with the wrong spindles before? i highly doubt it but, seems weird, Scag shows one thing, then the mower its self shows another.

The other two are the same as this one. But If the bolt pattern on the housing is the same as the 61, then it's possible. If so, then it seemed to work, because he said he hasn't replaced this one in a while.