Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.

gearz

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can't find 30W oil anywhere in my area, or on line.
My 2 cents is that I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and I use Synthetic 5W-30 with the proper API in my trucks and lawn equipment for as long as I can remember and NEVER had a engine issue. As long as you change it at the proper interval. I tend to over maintenance every thing I own because oil is cheaper than engine issues. BTW 30W is only for summer use and I plow in the winter so 5W-30 is a better choice for cold starts.

Threads
I use Rotella-T 15w40 in everything I own, car, truck, tractors, everything with a motor, EXCEPT my 2006 Harley motorcycle. I use HD synthetic in it because I love keeping my Harley all original, down to the oil. Rotella-T currently sells for $79 for a 5-gallon container at Walmart. That's $3.95 per quart. I run it in 2 John Deere D140 lawn mowers with B&S Intek V-twins with almost 400 hours on each, all my Polaris ATV's, Kubota X1100C diesel UTV, 2003 Kubota M9000 tractor, 2000 NH TC33D tractor, 1968 Ford 3000 tractor, all diesels, 2004 Chevy 2500HD 122,000 miles, 2001 Impala 227,000 miles, both with gasoline engines, Generac 6500 watt generator, Generac 150kw stationary backup generator with Ford V-10 engine, Craftsman power washer with B&S engine, 4 push mowers, most with B&S engines, and probably some other machine I've forgotten. I started using Rotella-T 15w40 in my Ford 3000 tractor after a complete engine overhaul in 1982. That tractor today has over 3200 hours on the engine, hard hours, high rpm, 6-8 hours at a time, etc. It has never used any oil since overhaul. I recently had to pull an injector that got some debris in the nozzle. While I had it out, I put a scope in the cylinder to see what it looked like. It's been 41 years since the overhaul and there is no ring ridge, no sign of wear, compression right on the spec. The engine has never used any oil between yearly oil changes, None of my engines have ever needed any oil added except the 2001 Impala. I did not own it for the first 178,000 miles so don't know the history on it before that. I bought it in 2012. It uses about half a quart between changes (3000 miles) but most of that is found on my shop floor from an oil pan gasket leak. Almost impossible to change that gasket, so I let it leak. That's been my experience, and I have never had ANY oil-related engine issues whatsoever since I started using it 40+ years ago. Go ahead and scream at me that it's not supposed to be used in gasoline engines, that it's made for diesel engines. I use it because of the results and will continue to buy it 5-gallons at a time. I've actually considered buying it in the 55-gallon drums at Sam's, but the problems handling it is why I don't.

rickfischer51

Threads
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
You dont tell us what your using it in, but if its older, its perhaps more important to find oil intended for service class J. The newer stuff does not meet that. The B&S oil does.

hikerpat

Threads
I'm looking for Castrol 30W oil and cannot find it anywhere, on-line or locally. I've checked AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot. So I decided to try for other brands, brands I recognize, not this cheap unknown stuff. The only straight 30W I can find is Super Tech but I have seen the independent wear test run on it and is ABSOLUTELY NOT as good as the nationally-recognized name brands.
Try Ace Hardware.

billypumper

Threads
I use 10W-30 JD Turf Gard in my JD 14SB silver deck mower, has a 5.5 HP Kawasaki engine, not one bit of trouble from this mower that I bought in 1993, mow every week during the season for the last 30 years, this oil has performed well for my 30 years of ownership.

boydmiles

Threads
Gun forums have this same phenomenon, mention oil and it's off to the races. I think there are two truths: 1. you can get different oil now than you could in the past and 2. any oil is better than none.
I remember from my youth that among the hot rodders the best oil was always some brand you couldn't find.

ChiefH

Threads
I would use a 10W-30 oil as it will be 30 for your use and the 10W will make starting easier in cold weather and will not affect the 30 grade provides during normal operation. I use 10W-30 for my lawn mowers, chipper, and 0W-30 for my snow thrower.

barny57

Threads
You probably won’t find it everything now it’s going to a synthetic blend no more conventional

lilguy

Threads
Walmart, Farm and Fleet. Kubota dealer.
You didn't look very hard. Its everwhere.