Can you rebuild hydros & wheel motors

rodders

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all just got a hustler z 27/60 done 4800 hous its got tired hydros & wheel motors can these be rebuilt or do you have to buy new ones.they cost about $1500 for a hydro & $1700 for a wheel motor in New Zealand so I would like to rebuild if possible. Hope someone can help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes they can be rebuilt by replacing the guts of the unit. Sometimes may not be much cheaper than just full unit replacement.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello & WELCOME to LMF...

Like ILENGINE said ... they are rebuild-able....
And if you can not get Hustler to ship you the parts direct.... the pump or Wheel Motor manufacturer will have rebuild kits that you can get direct... :smile:KennyV

rodders

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks
I will pull hydros off & get some model numbers to get the process under way

Duffer72

Threads
Keep in mind that it has to be done in almost operating room conditions as far as dirt etc goes, we rebuilt some on Skag mowers that went bad and the first 2 or 3 didn't go to well.

mowitall.cl

Threads
Order pumps and motors from u.s.a. much cheaper n can order from dealer n have sent to u 30-50% savings

Sammy the Red

Threads
When they are tired and slow, what is there to rebuild ?

Brother blew the gears out of his Z-turn and rebuilt them. That is with broken parts. When they get tired, would new gears help it ? ..... I don't know.....That is why I ask.

Slow or tired might be the result of worn drive pulleys, worn belts, weak springs or rusty arms.
Also contaminated hydro oil and dirty filter. Do they leak fluid ?

If they still work, I think I would start with belts and go from there.

Just my thoughts, maybe Duffer72 and ILENGINE can add to it.

Duffer72

Threads
I figured if he thought he had the knowledge to rebuilt the pumps that he would have already checked these other things first. I do agree to check the other things but the person he bought it from may have already and that is why he sold it.

One other thing is to check the dump valves to make sure they are closed completely.

rodders

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys
brought the mower knowing it needed hydros looking at. brought from a dealer who traded it. He told me the hydros and wheel motors needed replacing the dealer wasn't a hustler dealer so just wanted to move it on.new hustler of that model goes for $20000 plus here so its worth spending some money and time on.would like to here from someone who knows were I could buy hydros & wheel motors from in the USA either after market or OEM as long as they do the job. I could search the net but some of you guys might be able to save me some time or have first hand experance with some dealers.
cheers

mowitall.cl

Threads
Sometimes u can get it directly from parker, ross, or hydro gear, whichever it might be or u can try rotaty.com, stens.com, oregon.com they have aftermarket company as well i use jacks small engine web site alot i am a commercial dealer but not for hustler but traded on one other day and we ordered parts from hydrogear and rebuilt right pump needed seals gaskets, and pressure plate that opperates little pistons the local dealer near me is dooley tractor