Can the flywheel magnets become weak, thus preventing spark?

Phototone

Threads
  • / Can the flywheel magnets become weak, thus preventing spark?
I like to tinker with LawnBoy mowers. I have quite a few. More than once I have had issues with getting a spark, on the electronic ignition (pointless) coils, no matter what coil I put on. I was wondering if there was ever an issue of the magnets moulded into the flywheel can over a long period lose their magnetism thus not generating enough electricity in the coil to spark?

jp1961

Threads
My Lawn-Boy repair manual (page 32) say weak flywheel magnets CAN cause weak or no spark. The 'remedy' says to see your authorized Lawn-Boy dealer, so they don't explain how to test for weak magnets.

Jeff

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, magnets can loose their magnetism. That being said I have only seen it once in my 40+ years of working on engines. Does your magnet pull a screwdriver tight from a 1/4" away? If it does it is good.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never cut one open but have read the coil pickup is electronic , meaning it may contain components such as transistor/capacitor in addition to the windings. If so the failure of the spark is more likely there due to heat damage of the transistor.

Phototone

Threads
Never cut one open but have read the coil pickup is electronic , meaning it may contain components such as transistor/capacitor in addition to the windings. If so the failure of the spark is more likely there due to heat damage of the transistor.

I'm getting no spark with a brand new, just took out of the box electronic coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three things, 1. Is the coil mounted correctly? 2. Is the coil tapped correctly, .010"? 3. Remove the kill wire and check for spark.