can i swap out a craftsman 6 speed select tranny for the craftsman automatic push to go tranny?

keakar

Threads
  • / can i swap out a craftsman 6 speed select tranny for the craftsman automatic push to go tranny?
can i swap out a craftsman 6 speed select tranny for the craftsman automatic push to go tranny?

as far as i can tell the controls are positioned the same with only the 6 speed having the select able speeds rather then push to go faster

has anyone done this or knows if its a simple swap out?

the mower is in super great condition but the parts mower im looking to buy is a complete POS so i dont want to swap the deck and engines out

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / can i swap out a craftsman 6 speed select tranny for the craftsman automatic push to go tranny?
How about posting hte model number of both mowers?

keakar

Threads
How about posting hte model number of both mowers?
i havent bought the second mower yet, thats why im asking if it can work

i already know 100% they are different tranny but the controls style and locations and the way the control works seem identical so im wondering if they might be a direct swap

the push to go mower with the bad tranny is
Craftsman 917289070

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe the only thing different is the pulley size and location. The Hydro (?) probably has a different brake setup too. Take a couple measurements of the bolt centers, axle diameter, side to side length. If it matches up and you are handy this probably could be made to work.

keakar

Threads
Maybe the only thing different is the pulley size and location. The Hydro (?) probably has a different brake setup too. Take a couple measurements of the bolt centers, axle diameter, side to side length. If it matches up and you are handy this probably could be made to work.
ah ok, i didnt consider things like that, i dont want to "rig" anything as i will be selling it so i just want it reliable and using the same original belts and all that

i was only thinking about where the control was and how it functioned

i bought the parts mower so im gonna have to sit them side by side and check on all of that stuff

i was banking on the manufacturers being lazy and using the identical setups for both tranny styles so they dont need to redesign everything

i hate those hydro tranny, they almost always seem to go bad on any mower over 5 yrs old for some reason. i think i recall its the pump inside that takes a dump

thats why i would prefer to switch to the near bullet proof reliable 6 speed select tranny

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
after the points you made i started comparing both trannys side by side and things are very different under there

oh well i guess im stripping and throwing a very nice clean pretty lawn mower out for the scrap metal guy to take

seems a shame but not much else i can do at this point