Can I just Tig or JB weld this cracked block? Why did this happen?

rarediary

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can I just Tig or JB weld this cracked block? Why did this happen?
27 hp rare Briggs craftsman riding mower from 2005. Got it from my neighbor. Apperantly he was using it and the block cracked here and gushed out all the oil. Why did this happen? Can I just Tig weld it shut and fill it back up with oil and call it good? It's a pretty rare engine and would like to salvage it if possible

rarediary

Forum Newbie
Threads
20230626_190247_HDR_(1).jpg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
looks like a rod strike or a part came loose and got between the rod and case. Looks like it is pushed out from within and not just a basic crack.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is an impact crack
some thing inside has come loose and smacked into the crank case
So yes you can weld it
No JB Weld ( or any other goop ) will not hold long term .
But you have to pull the engine down first to see what came loose and if there is internal damage

rarediary

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is an impact crack
some thing inside has come loose and smacked into the crank case
So yes you can weld it
No JB Weld ( or any other goop ) will not hold long term .
But you have to pull the engine down first to see what came loose and if there is internal damage
Eh screw it then. I'm already busy rebuilding my gsxr 600. I'll just keep my eye out for a donor engine

rarediary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Eh screw it then. I'm already busy rebuilding my gsxr 600. I'll just keep my eye out for a donor engine
Although I have to ask, an impact from what exactly? This is horizontal v twin. Isn't the crankshaft connected to the flywheel? What could have possibly hit inside of there

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On a twin usually one of the con rods
On a single usually the counterweight
But in any case you will not know till you open the engine or poke a bore-o-scope down the cylinders and down the dip stick hole after removing the dip stick.
I thought they were a wank but use mine a lot now days
Mostly on 2 strokes I can pull the spark plug & show the customer the damage in 5 minutes rather than pulling the muffler & carb off
Had a cheap battery powered one from an auto store then bought a better one that runs off a laptop USB port
Downside is I had to get a Windoze box to run it off

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
On a twin usually one of the con rods
On a single usually the counterweight
But in any case you will not know till you open the engine or poke a bore-o-scope down the cylinders and down the dip stick hole after removing the dip stick.
I thought they were a wank but use mine a lot now days
Mostly on 2 strokes I can pull the spark plug & show the customer the damage in 5 minutes rather than pulling the muffler & carb off
Had a cheap battery powered one from an auto store then bought a better one that runs off a laptop USB port
Downside is I had to get a Windoze box to run it off
I use my endoscope regularly, mainly for checking condition of piston, rings, and cylinder. Very helpful tool. Still usually pull the muffler on 2-stroke for better visibility.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
27 hp rare Briggs craftsman riding mower from 2005. Got it from my neighbor. Apperantly he was using it and the block cracked here and gushed out all the oil. Why did this happen? Can I just Tig weld it shut and fill it back up with oil and call it good? It's a pretty rare engine and would like to salvage it if possible
Rare? It when you get in a 60's or 70's model you start calling rare.

But either way we need the engine's model and type numbers to look-up the dang engine. It like there 100's of different engines out there on mowers. Even when you go to get for your vehicle you got know which engine is it if you are wanting engine parts.