Export thread

Can a Kohler starter solenoid be repaired?

SJMaye

SJMaye

I have a 25HP Kohler SV730 that has had starting problems for several years. Fully charged battery, sometimes it turns over, sometimes it is just a strong click. If it does turn over it is clear that the battery is plenty charged. Just the solenoid is not connecting the juice to the starter.
I have not pulled the starter yet. I wanted to know if it can be repaired and if not have the new one there so I can immediately install. Based on what I have looked up the started looks like this below. Can it be repaired or just buy a new one?

71LOkGwkxrL._SL1500_.jpg

R

Rivets

Solenoids cannot be repaired, just replaced. Starters can be repaired, if you can a shop which does that. Most times it is cheaper to replace a starter than to have it repaired. I would test the starter first, before purchasing any parts.

StarTech

StarTech

Correct, this uses a remote starter solenoid (relay).

I use DB Electrical starters when I need a new starter which fairly cost effective and they have a fairly good warranty too. About the only thing that Kohler provides for this starter is brushes and upper housing. No replacement starter Bendix. The most common problem I have with them is the top bushing goes bad causing binding.

SJMaye

SJMaye

Guys- Thank you for your help. I am totally embarrassed. I thought this was one of the starters with an integral solenoid. Now as I look at the wiring I see the separate solenoid. I was making it way too hard on myself. Just replace the darn thing!

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time.

R

Rivets

Don’t be embarrassed, not the first or last time it will happen. Not a waste of time, as your thread may help some else down the road.

C

CNIJ

Thanks for that I have the same issue and it was very helpful knowing that! I ordered one of those starters for my Cub Cadet.