Can a Kohler starter solenoid be repaired?

SJMaye

Threads
I have a 25HP Kohler SV730 that has had starting problems for several years. Fully charged battery, sometimes it turns over, sometimes it is just a strong click. If it does turn over it is clear that the battery is plenty charged. Just the solenoid is not connecting the juice to the starter.
I have not pulled the starter yet. I wanted to know if it can be repaired and if not have the new one there so I can immediately install. Based on what I have looked up the started looks like this below. Can it be repaired or just buy a new one?

71LOkGwkxrL._SL1500_.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Solenoids cannot be repaired, just replaced. Starters can be repaired, if you can a shop which does that. Most times it is cheaper to replace a starter than to have it repaired. I would test the starter first, before purchasing any parts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Correct, this uses a remote starter solenoid (relay).

I use DB Electrical starters when I need a new starter which fairly cost effective and they have a fairly good warranty too. About the only thing that Kohler provides for this starter is brushes and upper housing. No replacement starter Bendix. The most common problem I have with them is the top bushing goes bad causing binding.

SJMaye

Threads
Guys- Thank you for your help. I am totally embarrassed. I thought this was one of the starters with an integral solenoid. Now as I look at the wiring I see the separate solenoid. I was making it way too hard on myself. Just replace the darn thing!

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t be embarrassed, not the first or last time it will happen. Not a waste of time, as your thread may help some else down the road.

CNIJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that I have the same issue and it was very helpful knowing that! I ordered one of those starters for my Cub Cadet.