California needs to preserve water. What to do with 2,000 sq. ft. of lawn ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / California needs to preserve water. What to do with 2,000 sq. ft. of lawn ?
1. Will mowing the grass blades shorter converse water ?

2. Are there effective "wetting agents" which are proven to converse water ?

3. Is applying fertilizer unwise because it promotes growth ?

4. How about turning off irrigation until the grass shows a lack of water, such as the failure for the blades to erect after stepping on the blades ?

5. Bluegrass is said to have shallow roots, so what about watering shorter and more often ?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Feel for ya Mark. Daughter down there. Some 35% cutback. First step would be empty the swimming pools. Good luck with that one.

MowerMark

Threads
Feel for ya Mark. Daughter down there. Some 35% cutback. First step would be empty the swimming pools. Good luck with that one.

Some have already drained their pool. Problems are:

1. In some cities it is a code violation
2. Insurance risk
3. Pool shell can lift up because of buoyancy
4. Does nothing to solve grass and landscape issue.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, shorter = will burn faster in the Cali heat
Sorry, I don't know
Just don't do it. It will burn
4. How about turning off irrigation until the grass shows a lack of water, such as the failure for the blades to erect after stepping on the blades ?
Grass will fall in dormancy and turn yellow. It will NOT die.
5. Bluegrass is said to have shallow roots, so what about watering shorter and more often ?
Mow less and keep it tall so that it can have it's own shade and stay humid longer. Also, mulch!

Hope this drought will not last too long.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I applied some fertilizer a couple weeks ago. We had a coupe days of rain since and I've been mulching more than bagging now. I doubt I'll even water the front yard at all and very sparingly in the back. Ya I know these things go in cycles and I really hope we switch gears next winter. If not I may have to re-evaluate my landscape.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mark, Wife and I discussed this today. Jerry Brown is a pretty savvy guy and he may surprise with his next measure. In addition to considerations some scenarios: County bans pools, and residents push for lower property tax??? Or, Jerry offers free pool covers if people drain or partially drain (good point on bouyancy). Or, (like farming) subsidies are paid to businesses like yours not to mow (not meant to be a cruel joke) . We move from LA in 1998. Here we get about 60-80 inches, mostly rain. One would think there should be no problem here, but nearby Portland occasionally has "boil days" when an open reservoir takes on too much bird do do. Right now the mountains surrounding Portland are at 25% normal snow pack. This is being noted as very serious because of the snow mechanics where aquifers depend upon slow melt of e.g, 20 ft of snow to recharge (farm allotments).We are at 1800 ft and the wells are full. It is strange how water affects. Not far from here rainfall is 200 inches annually. When water matches oil in price tankers will float it in. Meanwhile here there are not enough lawn services. I have tried for 2 years and so far got 2 replies.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

I live in West Texas under constant drought, some times we can only water every 2 weeks and we came close to no outside watering last year.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
These are good tips. How about weeds. What about the old rule "grass needs an inch a week" which doesn't work in dry areas. And...I feel my front 1/3 acre died thru combo of July-Aug sun bake-weeds I did not kill -and low Ph which welcomed acid loving weeds like red sorrel (aka sheep sorrel). That weed laughed at CrossBow.:confused2: