Buying used riding mower for utility use?

asbury park

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, new guy here. I have just around an acre, about half is grass and the rest is slightly wooded. I am looking at buying a used riding mower for utility use - pulling a light cart holding landscaping materials and such. I know it's not a UTV and won't stand heavy abuse and i am not looking to use it that way. I do a lot of yard work lugging stuff around and would like something to move materials much easier. It doesn't even need to be able to cut grass although it would be a big benefit. I'm only looking to spend a couple hundred bucks and don't mind doing repairs and maintenance. Anyway, what do you guys suggest for a used mower? What to stay away from?

Thanks

metz12

Threads
i use my craftsman for utility use, if you go through my pictures i use a trailer on it, and a plow. ive towed trees with the thing (ones that are like 1'-1'6") pulled trees down with it. its a 20hp kohler which ive never done anything too exept change the oil and the filter. personally i like briggs and stratton engines, but i love my craftsman. also you could go with murray because they have the strongest frames and usually the best trans axles that you can get. plus craftsman and murray are 2 of the most used for off roading tractors too.

Brucebotti

Threads
I also have an older Craftsman GT (15 years old) that I use to move a car trailer around the yard, pull out trees (small ones), etc. I think you want to look for one with a manual trans that will be able to take a lot more abuse.

Metz12, is your Craftsman a manual or a hydro drive?

Bruce

MBDiagMan

Threads
If you keep your eyes open, you might find an old, small four wheeler or three wheeler for your budget and it would be better suited for the job as long as you don't want it to cut. Make sure you get one with a differential though.

Larry

metz12

Threads
I also have an older Craftsman GT (15 years old) that I use to move a car trailer around the yard, pull out trees (small ones), etc. I think you want to look for one with a manual trans that will be able to take a lot more abuse.

Metz12, is your Craftsman a manual or a hydro drive?

Bruce

its a manual. the normal high low transmission. it doesnt go too fast, and i wish it did but i might need the thing to cut the grass someday so i dont plan on messing with it.