Buying Parts, Accessories

oldlawnguy

Threads
You got a bunch of great suggestions. If you have the time basically shopping around can be beneficial.

I needed a set of mulching blades for my 42 inch Craftsman. Was ordering a bunch of stuff online for annual lawn and garden stuff: checked out what Home Depot had online (not in the store). Got a set of mulching blades for $23.99. Was branded as MaxPower and interchangeable for POULAN/HUSQVARNA/CRAFTSMAN. Was expecting a POS that I could return to the store (if that was the case). I was very surprised at the weight/quality of the blade! I think it is better than the orange HUSQVARNA blades they replaced.

Interestingly the 1st blade had a MAXPOWER label and the one underneath had a COPPERHEAD ROTARY label :D

Blades also claim to be made in the USA... I did the same thing for B&S oil filters and an Oregon fuel filter. All the stuff was cheaper than the similar stuff in store so go figure. I know Home Depot has reach into the supply chain, but the power equipment stuff was surprising.

Not sure about Toro but, a lot of other brands parts are interchangeable and have cross reference part numbers. I've personally had good results with Turf Depot (ProParts Direct) in the northeast.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No mower company actually makes mowers
They all assemble them from mostly bought in parts
This naturally includes the blades .
MTD probably makes more of their mowers than any one else.
This is what happens when the rent seekers take over any company, they sell off all of the manufacturing in order to reduce the companies capital so the P:E ratio goes up which is a prime measure used to determine their bonuses .
Long term it destroys the company as it becomes hostage to it's suppliers and the supply chain .

KM Richards

Threads
Toro makes their own engines (made by the CCP)... so far, mine has performed very well.

For $4k it better perform well!

Divot

Threads
I've already downloaded the Toro manual along with the complete parts list.

I'm interested in finding out where I can buy parts from vendors other than Toro.

I'm thinking in terms of how things are with automotive parts...there's many options online for purchasing parts.

Just curious if there are some well know and reliable parts places online for lawn mower parts and accessories.
Propartsdirect.com

KM Richards

Threads
They must have closed down... that domain name is for sale now

Gord Baker

Threads
First, Remove the blades and sharpen them. Not rocket science as some might say. Then try it. No sense replacing belts and idlers yet as it seems your mechanical skill level in this is quite low.

KM Richards

Threads
I can tear it apart and put it back together, it's no problem at all homie!

I'm putting the new blades on and sharpening the original ones
That way, I'll have 2 sets of blades.... backups are good.

My problem is I run my own business and work a lot of hours and it's a dolla waitin on a dime for me spending very much time jackin with the lawn mower.

And, my belt and pulleys are just fine as I just got the rig summer of 2020

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can tear it apart and put it back together, it's no problem at all homie!

I'm putting the new blades on and sharpening the original ones
That way, I'll have 2 sets of blades.... backups are good.

My problem is I run my own business and work a lot of hours and it's a dolla waitin on a dime for me spending very much time jackin with the lawn mower.

And, my belt and pulleys are just fine as I just got the rig summer of 2020
If you run your own then you should be able to afford to have someone else to do the repairs. That way you can focus on your business than wasting time on other things.

Mowers will always need repairs depend how rough the operator is on it.